Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue Parts For Sale & Wanted (/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Where's the cheapest place (/showthread.php?t=172285)

coppersaucepipe 18-Dec-2012 12:26

Where's the cheapest place

to get a full set of bearings, seals and gaskets for a 583 engine/gearbox?

On splitting my spare engine, it appears I've got a few balls missing out of one of the bigger bearings. Judging by the amount of swarf round he sump plug I know where they ended.

Ta

Steve

dunlop0_1 18-Dec-2012 13:21

Steve your into big money. I think the 620 runs at about £800 for all the bits from Ducati so 583 I imagine would be similar. Some of the smaller bearings and seals are generic and can be obtained from any bearing supplier.

Try and pick up a good set of crank cases with bearings would be my option.
:D

Ghost 18-Dec-2012 14:06

When I rebuilt my 583 the mains are in excess of £100, angular contact C3 grade IIRC. No gaskets needed, use threebond.

Big end shells £29.60 ish, valve 1/2 rings £1.58 x8 Several rubber O rings at pence.

I just remembered I did put some cheap mains in on the first rebuild and knocked them out at Snetterton, real bad vibrations. So bit the bullet and bought OEM.

nelly 18-Dec-2012 16:25

As Ghost mentioned, I wouldn't use anything but OEM for the mains. The other bearings aren't that scary apart from the roller bearings on the gearbox shafts...the inner races usually stay put on the gearbox shafts. They are quite strong though so you may get away without them. The seals aren't too bad, i've just paid over the odds from a local supplier cause i needed them quickly compared to Ducati prices......
Three bond and o-rings will see the rest back together.

Drop me a pm if you need prices :)

skidlids 18-Dec-2012 22:11

Might be worth asking Matt Larrett what he wants for the 583 engine sat in his garage in Didcot, the engine that won him the Class B championship in 2010

Donna (aka Classic Gaskets) over at Brancatto engineering in Chalgrove can supply gaskets and Tony can probably sort you out with Bearings

coppersaucepipe 19-Dec-2012 20:41

Thanks for the replies, certainly food for thought. I think while I have a spare bike, I might consider the spare engine spare heads, barrels and cases until I break another engine.

Iconic944ss 19-Dec-2012 22:01

oddly enough, a canny gent on Ducati up North, let me post up details he'd found for the 900ss bearings.

The bottom end stuff might be same???

http://www.900ss.proboards.com