Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   1996 996 SPS vs new 998s FE? (/showthread.php?t=19241)

david.hicks 30-Jun-2005 15:36

1996 996 SPS vs new 998s FE?

After a biking career solely on Jap machinery, on Monday I spent a happy day at my local bike shops deciding what to buy as my first Ducati.

Started off with test rides on the 749 and 999 s models. I had about 20 mins on each - 5 mins in town, 5 mins on b-roads and 10 mins on a-roads - not long, but enough to give me some "first ever Ducati" impressions ....

- better looking up close & in the flesh than in pictures
- easiest bikes to ride fast I have ever come across
- great handling
- hot arse
- aching left hand from heavy clutch
- sore wrists

however, overall I wasn't as blown away by them as I expected to be given all the hype. On balance I preferred the less revvy nature of the 999.

Next I went a few mins up the road to another shop and test rode a 1999 800 mile 996 SPS with a John Hackett chip ....

What can I say - words fail me, but TRULY AWESOME is kind of how it felt. Just sitting on it got me giggling inside - the riding position is just so spot-on, focused and purposeful. Then I started the engine and the noise! AMAZING. Like an earthquake or a Spitfire or something. 30 mins riding around the same roads had me totally hooked - I was screaming and laughing out loud to myself like a nutter on a roller-coaster - oh my God, what a bike.

The riding and power delivery is clearly more sporty than the 749/999 but it just felt so much better (even in the arse/wrists/left hand department). The only thing that didn't feel as good as the 749/999 was the brakes.

I would have bought the 996 SPS there and then but for a couple of things ...
1. It wasn't in excellent condition (good but not excellent)
2. Up the road they had a brand-new 998s Final Edition that had caught my eye.

Unfortunately they won't let me test ride the 998s FE so I am in a real quandry about what to do. I am leaning towards the 998s FE because it is new/the very last in the line/has zero miles etc. etc. - but I am concerned that the riding experience won't be everything that the 996 SPS was.

Can anyone who has ridden both of these bikes (or similar) offer me any opinion on the differences in riding experience?

I think I understand the main differences in spec (different engine, suspension etc.), but I want to try to get an insight into the difference in feel. I will be gutted if I buy the 998s FE and am disappointed after riding the 996 SPS.

The 996 SPS was standard except for the John Hackett chip and a 14 tooth front sprocket. So far as the 998s FE goes, I would plan to put 50m carbon Termis and a 14 tooth front sprocket on and otherwise leave it standard for starters.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Dave

david.hicks 30-Jun-2005 15:37

Ooops - 1999 996 not 1996 (too many 9s and 6s!)

beancounter 30-Jun-2005 15:42

I haven't ridden the 998 so cannot really answer your question.

However, I did change the brakes on my SPS to P34 4 pad calipers with cast iron disks - a great improvement on standard, could hardly ask for more.

I would say go for the SPS but then I would, wouldn't I.

JPM 30-Jun-2005 15:50

I had a box standard 996 that I threw countless amounts of money at and it was a great bike, not an SPS but had many of the things you describe, I then had a 998S Bostrom Replica, which I am guessing will be a similar spec? Ohlins all round etc?

Purists may say get the SPS but if you want more ponies go for the 998 with the latest engine, which should be more reliable, plus you'll get better stoppers also with better brakes etc.

BDG/Rattler to name but two have had a 996SPS and a 996R, they maybe able to find the small differences

Twinfan 30-Jun-2005 16:08

Depends how much cash you have I guess! If you can afford the 998, I'd go for that. New bike, full warranty etc.

bostrom998 30-Jun-2005 16:14

If money not a problem go for the 998.....warranty etc and it gets the Ohlins font end etc. I have a Bostrom Rep and the sheer poke of the testastretta engine and the 4 pad stoppers make it a cut above in terms of performance. Not seen many discounted though as I guess they knew they'r go eventually?
No competition with 999/749, whole different and better ball game. new bikes nothing but grief unless you go all the way to the top for an R and even then styling still doesn't do it for me.
Only argument for SPS (providing it's genuine) is that if you plan to keep it and generally pamper it I reckon it'll be quite a good long term investment. When I asked John Baines lasy week which 4 valve Duke he thought would end up as the best long term hold he simlpy said...SPS....

Twinfan 30-Jun-2005 16:25

I would have thought the 996R/998R would have been the best long term prospect. New generation motor, and much respected chassis.

I guess the SPS has depreciated nicely now and is the last of the pre-testastretta engines...

bostrom998 30-Jun-2005 17:16

You could be right there but somehow the SPS seems more evocative even if it less efficient, and I guess that's what the collectors of the future will want?

beancounter 30-Jun-2005 17:16

Indeed.

Mr C 30-Jun-2005 17:25

Quote:

Originally posted by JPM
it was a great bike,

Rest In Pieces :sniff:

Harv748 30-Jun-2005 17:34

Quote:

Originally posted by bostrom998
You could be right there but somehow the SPS seems more evocative even if it less efficient, and I guess that's what the collectors of the future will want?

Amen ...

beancounter 30-Jun-2005 17:35

Harv, when you gonna sell me that SP3 ?

Do I have to come round and cause trouble !

bostrom998 30-Jun-2005 17:39

Christ, give you guys an inch.........as I said ...IF you want to keep it long term then blah blah.... For now I'll be stomping all over you in the bends AND on the straights......

BDG 30-Jun-2005 18:31

David

welcome to the board.

Tough decision to make, i have owned a year 2000 SPS (with Ohlins front forks) same as the 99 SPS otherwise, and curently have a 996R which has essentially the same engine and running gear as the 998FE.

Its a very close call, the SPS is a bit more brutal, bit more character! the testastretta engine in the 998 is more powerful, smoother and refined, but certainly not bland. On balance i would go with the 996R (but only just, the difference isn't as big as you may expect in my honest opinion). Lot depends on your budget, the new bike will depreciate more, and how much you value 2 years warranty.

For a more detailed comparison do a search here on the board on a story i wrote recently comparing the 2 bikes
"996SPS vs 996R Performance Touring Test" complete with dyno graphs of both bikes.

By the way the 996R does have the 998 testasretta engine, just in case you don't know.

Good luck.

Henners 30-Jun-2005 22:58

I must confirm what has gone before because it's all subjective - it's how you feel about it that matters. However, having owned a 916, 998BP, 998FE and now the 996R I'd say that the thing that matters most is the feel of the engine and whether you need to stand out from the crowd.

If you want character and exclusivisty then go SPS. If you want subtle but brutal power and non exclusivisity then go 998FE. If you want the best of everything then go 996R :frog:

rcgbob44 30-Jun-2005 23:11

Henners

When you tire of your 996R and sell it (another 6 months!) I have a very nice Aprilia that would suite you sir!

Henners 30-Jun-2005 23:15

Mr Bob ... as I've said before - you'll sell that thing before I'll sell the 996R :lol:

Nattyboy 30-Jun-2005 23:58

The FE wasnt in Daytona was it ? If its of interest I know where I can get my hands on a 1500 mile 998s Bostrom way under book...?

Cheers
Nat

Harv748 01-Jul-2005 02:24

Quote:

Originally posted by beancounter

Beany boy...bring it on...:lol:

SPS ...paaah...I've seen more exclusivity in a mini metro:lol:

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by Harv748]

beancounter 01-Jul-2005 09:52

Cruel, mate, cruel

*sob*

Clippy 01-Jul-2005 09:56

David,

Sold a '99 SPS earlier this year for a '02 998S, so I guess I'm closest so far to your dilema...

Buy the SPS if your trips are reasonably short and not around town, if you enjoy trackdays but not commuting, if you want to tinker and tweak to exract the ultimate from your machine.

Buy the 998 if you do the odd tour on your bike, commuted, potter around rather than go nuts out at all opportunities and want a bike that doesn't require constant attention to keep it sweet.

The SPS is a full on race bike for the road - the 998 will do everything the SPS does on road/track to within a gnats, but will be more day-to-day friendly...

Giles

Monty 01-Jul-2005 13:45

Quote:

Originally posted by Harv748
Quote:

Originally posted by beancounter

Beany boy...bring it on...:lol:

SPS ...paaah...I've seen more exclusivity in a mini metro:lol:

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by Harv748]

Stop rubbing it in Harv-it sat in my garage for 6 weeks-and like a fool I let it go.............:(

John

smilo006 01-Jul-2005 21:50

If you cannot get a ride on the FE see if you can get a ride in a 2nd hand 998S. This should help you take a decision.

david.hicks 01-Jul-2005 22:08

Decision made!

Thanks for all your help everyone - today I put down a deposit on the 998s FE! I collect it a week on Monday!

At the moment I am getting the following "extras" ...
[list=1]
50mm Termis
Datatool System 3 alarm
Padock stand
Carbon rear hugger
Tank protector
Front number board (stone chip protection!)[/list=1]

I am also thinking about some more carbon - just coz it looks so good on the SPS (airbox, scoops, front mudguard, exhaust heat cover).

Anything else that should be on my list?

skidlids 01-Jul-2005 22:14

All very sensible extras, my 998 Hybrid has 50mm Termis although I have a 54mm half system sitting here waiting to be fitted, I fitted a gel type front number board yesterday and tried to fit a carbon shock gaurd earlier but will have to either remove the wheel to fit it and if that don't work i'll have to unbolt the shock to fit it.
Also fitted carbon heal gaurds to my harris rearsets yesterday.

Hopefully I'll get a nice billet clutch cover soon to show off the JHP slipper clutch.

Harv748 01-Jul-2005 22:27

Quote:

Originally posted by skidlids
All very sensible extras, my 998 Hybrid has 50mm Termis although I have a 54mm half system sitting here waiting to be fitted, I fitted a gel type front number board yesterday and tried to fit a carbon shock gaurd earlier but will have to either remove the wheel to fit it and if that don't work i'll have to unbolt the shock to fit it.

Hopefully I'll get a nice billet clutch cover soon to show off the JHP slipper clutch.

...and you say my bikes got too much bling!:lol:

baylissboy 02-Jul-2005 15:32

Quote:

Originally posted by david.hicks
Thanks for all your help everyone - today I put down a deposit on the 998s FE! I collect it a week on Monday!

[list=1]
50mm Termis
Datatool System 3 alarm
Padock stand
Carbon rear hugger
Tank protector

I am also thinking about some more carbon - just coz it looks so good on the SPS (airbox, scoops, front mudguard, exhaust heat cover).

Slipper clutch,every time!! Especially since you've come off a jap bike!!!

keefer 02-Jul-2005 15:37

Quote:

Originally posted by Harv748
Quote:

Originally posted by skidlids

...and you say my bikes got too much bling!:lol:

THATS NOTHING :D;):D

breakout 02-Jul-2005 16:35

996r engine

996r (yr 2001) has a deep sump sandcast testastretta engine ,the 998/998s engines had the same bore 100mm as the 996r. The 998r has a shorter stroke (108mm bore) than the 996r longer stroke ,smaller (100mm) bore
Apart from the crank, rods,cylinders most parts are the same ;- the heads dont look any different?
The 996r motor is the same engine as the 998s????(some 998s motors had diecast cases????
so as far as I see it the 996r does have the same motor as the 998s testastretta?

Quote:

Originally posted by BDG
David

welcome to the board.

Tough decision to make, i have owned a year 2000 SPS (with Ohlins front forks) same as the 99 SPS otherwise, and curently have a 996R which has essentially the same engine and running gear as the 998FE.

Its a very close call, the SPS is a bit more brutal, bit more character! the testastretta engine in the 998 is more powerful, smoother and refined, but certainly not bland. On balance i would go with the 996R (but only just, the difference isn't as big as you may expect in my honest opinion). Lot depends on your budget, the new bike will depreciate more, and how much you value 2 years warranty.

For a more detailed comparison do a search here on the board on a story i wrote recently comparing the 2 bikes
"996SPS vs 996R Performance Touring Test" complete with dyno graphs of both bikes.

By the way the 996R does have the 998 testasretta engine, just in case you don't know.

Good luck.

breakout 02-Jul-2005 16:39

yeh sorry misread your post,this time of night I am mostly full of s--- anyway sorry

Quote:

Originally posted by BDG
David

welcome to the board.

Good luck.

BDG 03-Jul-2005 00:45

Quote:

Originally posted by breakout
yeh sorry misread your post,this time of night I am mostly full of s--- anyway sorry

Quote:

Originally posted by BDG
David

welcome to the board.

Good luck.

Hey Breakout don't worry, i know what you mean about this time of night, my real name is GBD but when i first logged on it was late & i'd had a few drinks:lol:

BDG 03-Jul-2005 00:48

Quote:

Originally posted by david.hicks

[list=1]
50mm Termis
Datatool System 3 alarm
Padock stand
Carbon rear hugger
Tank protector

Great choice, hope you love it. I'd also suggest a Carbon wallet, preferably with a bloody big padlock on or you'll keep on spending, its a disease and there'sno known cure.

Enjoy:D

TP 03-Jul-2005 13:22

Quote:

Originally posted by breakout
996r (yr 2001) has a deep sump sandcast testastretta engine ,the 998/998s engines had the same bore 100mm as the 996r. The 998r has a shorter stroke (108mm bore) than the 996r longer stroke ,smaller (100mm) bore

breakout - the 998R has a 104mm bore and 58.8mm stroke the same as the current 999R engine.

Read all about it here.

smilo006 04-Jul-2005 11:41

Double bubble screen, cheap but excellent mod too.