Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Ohlins transplant (/showthread.php?t=37416)

Stuart. M 10-Oct-2006 23:35

Ohlins transplant

Anyone replaced the rear showa on an 888 strada with an SP4 Ohlins?
I have what I think is an SP4 Ohlins but it's 10mm shorter than the showa and the mounting bushes are 12mm and not 10mm. It also fouls the rocker arm with the shoulder of the shock.
Can't see any identification marks on the Ohlins to confirm what it actually is - bought in good faith that it was from an SP4 and would fit the strada.

Does the SP4 have a completely different set up and geometry to a 888 strada?
Anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks S

851neil 10-Oct-2006 23:46

hmm, good question - not too sure about the difference with showa to ohlins, but when I went from marzocchi to ohlins I found that the the shock length was exactly the same.
doesn't help you much !
sorry

neil 10-Oct-2006 23:50

851Neil, hasn't yours got an SP4 linkage?.......Seem to remember you said something about it when I saw the bike....I believe that there is some difference Strada to SP4 to the top of the linkage tho...

Iconic944ss 11-Oct-2006 00:11

Interesting NO T8 shocks mentioned on the Ohlins website at all - but older bikes are ????

Had a look at the oldest Monster shock for comparison and here is the detail:

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hid...0/Default.aspx

Good luck - Frank

PS - Harris are the UK importers might be worth dropping them a line:

http://www.harris-performance.com/

851neil 11-Oct-2006 09:25

Neil, yes it's an SP linkage - but when I 1st got the bike it still had the Marzocchi shock in it. I transplanted the Ohlins when the Marzocchi scarily gave up the ghost on a ride out...I did note that on transplanting there was no shock length difference.
Spoke with Harris last year and the shock isn't listed by Ohlins - so it would have been a case of speccing a shock and then having Ohlins attempt to make up a special from the parts bin, money wasn't talked about but it 'sounded' expensive to me so I dodged out and went the 2nd hand route and paid for it to be reconditioned.

loony888 11-Oct-2006 09:56

i have a 888 strada with the std top rocker, the sp type rocker has a ride height adjuster, mine does not. my ohlins is a DU8071 or 46HRC. on the box it says ducati 851/888 sport 89-93. it did raise the rear height by approx 25mm. there is no threaded ride height adjustment on the bottom either, when i ordered it, it was the spec for a SP5.
hope it helps,
cheers,
paul.

italian888 11-Oct-2006 15:00

Last December I enquired on the Ohlins site for a shock for my strada, they got back to me through Steve Cramer Products here in Aust. this is the email.

Rob,

These 851/888 shocks are no longer made by the factory, however we can build
you one from spare parts (brand new). We do this all the time, for shocks
that are discontinued.

We are one of only eight factory authorized Ohlins shocks builders, world
wide.

The price for the shock will be $1400 inc GST.

Regards.

Steve Cramer
Managing Director

The price is Aussi dollars, which i still havn't managed to put aside, so still running the Showa.
Cheers, Rob

jgriff 11-Oct-2006 15:24

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OHLIN...38157079QQrdZ1

Or you can use a DU440 but the hose is only 440mm so you need to get a longer hose. Get them from the US for about US$700. Shock lenght is 330mm. As far as I'm aware all 851/888's except the tricolors (I'm not sure on them) have the same dimentions for suspension.

And why do you guys go on about the "SP rocker" my what was standard 1990 851 Biposto has one.
Griff

aka.eric 11-Oct-2006 16:12

Various suppliers are still listing Ohlins rears for 888,s
46 HRC - DU807
46 HRCL - DU904
46 HRCLS - DU 302

Mr.R 11-Oct-2006 18:18

Hi, I ordered my 851 ohlins from Harris 2/3 years ago. when it arrived it had the shorter hose as per 900 monster, i fitted the resovoir over the clutch like the monster, no problems so far, if i start to get any fade then i'll just fit a longer hose and move it up under the seat. I also had no prob's switching between the strada and the sp type rocker.
Steve Robins S.W.