Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Changing the front sprocket (/showthread.php?t=4366)

the phantom pieman 06-Nov-2003 20:06

Changing the front sprocket

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I can do a search, however ......

Aboout a year ago I decided to go 14t on the front, and bought a sprocket from Forza Italia for the ole 998S.

I was told they were all standard thru out the range.

Anyway, my old sprocket has a lock washer on it, and what FI sold me has spines and obviously a position for some sort of locking plate .....

Can i use what I have got with the standard lock washer, or do I need a 998 specific sprocket?

And do you have to do all the farting around with the clutch thingies that the haynes manual for a 996 says, or again is a 998S diff.....

Thanks !!!

Nigel C 06-Nov-2003 21:42

my replacement sprocket (genuine part) had splines on it i think they should all be the same did you get a new locking washer when you bought it ? should be a black one as the old gold coloured ones were replaced by black ones (different design i think ).

took mine off without removing the clutch slave cylinder as per manual i think that is if you remove the sprocket with the chain in situ

ben998 12-Nov-2003 12:46

Is it worth replacing just the front sprocket with a 14T, or is it best to change the rear as well? My 998 is used for road riding with the occasional track day thrown in for good measure.

cheers,
Ben

Dukerob 12-Nov-2003 12:54

have a chat with Nelly at Cornerspeed, he keep sprockets and retainers etc in stock and will tell you all about the benefits/disadvantages of the 14T front. I've seen him play with some real low gearing but he's back to something more 'normal' now.
There's no need to change the rear.
Tel: 01623 758877

swiss 998s 17-Nov-2003 12:48

PP

They are the same, I got sent a 996 front sprocket and had the same question, it fitted no problem

Rob