Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   620 big bore? (/showthread.php?t=17051)

butch890 02-May-2005 11:23

620 big bore?

Wow what a weekend.
A veritable rollercoaster as far as we were concerned,Chris struggled with confidence after his Rockingham crash as well as the Reserve farce (thanks weeksy) .
All in all a great weekend (thanks to Paul fromm CSS for the practice starts) and now its just down to some track time to get the bike handling as Chris likes it and get the bike looking as pretty as it was before battle comenced!
Anyway to the point of the post ,i personally thought the MT have got the power spot on for the 583 bigbore bikes so as to be very even with rthe 620's (as this weekend proved)
however i am very concerned about the mutterings from 620 riders about going big bore before Castle Combe (i was told by 3 riders they are keen to do it) .
I realise it may be to late and we might be closing the stable door etc what with the fact that there is already onr 620 bb already on the grid and the fact that the final regs have been published but i can see a race series with a race within a race developing.
Is it too late to ban 620 bigbores and more importantly what do other competitors think?
Butch

Rattler 02-May-2005 11:34

Its already a 2-tiered race series, I shouldn't bother to go BB.
Tim:frog:

NBs996 02-May-2005 11:39

I'm with you Butch, there was a gentlemans agreement to keep things as even as possible and leave the 620 on standard bore.

The 583's were a little bit slower, but nothing too significant. I was just about able to reel in Andy (Team CK&AK) down the straight, but not by much, and Phil (583 big bored) was losing a few meters on me down there too but was able to keep on my tail for the whole of both races because he seemed to be the better rider.

I think the 620 bb's would be bad for the series, but at the end of it all we'll know who the trophies SHOULD have been going to, so if someone want to throw a shed load of money into boring a 620 then let them, but their victories will be hollow.

AK 02-May-2005 11:41

From AK

its not in the rules that they cant go big on the 620's, so it cant be stopped. It will always be the people with more money from sponsorship etc, to have the more powerful bikes - thats racing. However, there is STILL time to ammend this, but it needs to be done NOW.

Obviously riders capability comes into it too tho.

This was shown when Andy, who rode our bike, pulled rabbits out of hats to keep the 583 within a shout of the 620 team bikes (and also Ian's 620).

He said tho, however much he wringed the bikes neck, he was being 'mirror,signal, manouvered' past on the bottom straight by riders on the 620's.

A more powerful bike will pull away more on the bigger tracks.

This will be more evident by Snetterton - and we can see there being at least 2 classes within the race.

[Edited on 2-5-2005 by CK and AK]

Jon 02-May-2005 12:01

Well sais Nick. Good honest post.

butch890 02-May-2005 13:10

I agree that its in the rules,that wasnt my point.
Although the 620's had a SLIGHT advantage yesterday the racing was very close and was without a doubt great viewing for the spectators .
Even though our bike has been paid for and prepared solely by Chris and I ,
we Do have the money to go BB but are not willing to do so purely to keep the racing close.
Butch

[Edited on 2-5-2005 by butch890]

Tonio600 02-May-2005 13:16

I didn't know there was a big bore for the 620.
I didn't know one was already racing with us, who is he ?
And I don't want to fit one on my bike, because I think it would become really unfair (even if I am a disadvantage for my bike).

TP 02-May-2005 13:27

My thoughts ... FWIW

Geoff Spencer is quick. I think he would still have won on a standard 620 and after speaking to him about bhp numbers his bike doesn't have an advantage over other 620's - he may have a better curve but there be bugger all difference in it IMO.

I've always thought that the bikes would be fairly even and I think the weekend proved it. It all comes down to the riders and seeing a 583 so far up the field proved that, plus seeing Phil and Ali doing so well.

I won't be going the big bore, if that sort of money was burning a hole in my pocket it would be going on more CSS days - I'm the limiting factor, not my bike. Especially if Nick (MBs996) and Ian Leah (the old man) don't do it because they are the ones I want to beat.

Just my opinion of course ...

dickieducati 02-May-2005 13:36

kind of agree with you tony.

were i battling at the front 2,3,4,5th places i would probably get it done as i would be in the frame for podiums ,silverware, prizes etc but for me i have so much more to do as a rider first its not really an issue.

unfortunately there was a bit of a faux pas made in the regs, and its all very well and good having a gentlemens agreement but with hindsight the rule should have been changed. to be fair though the rules were there for all to see and you could buy any applicable bike you wanted up to the class limit. geoff is very quick as you say, havnt met him but wonder if he was not aware of the so called gentlemans agreement?

ericthered40 02-May-2005 13:49

Your right Geoff is fast and his curves are undoubtedly looking sweet, I wouldn’t mind seeing a dino chart of that bike compared to a 583 though
I think that woodlands is not giving us the full pic yet.
I hope the 620s keep it close, it must be better for the hole field?
:o