Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   2003 749 (/showthread.php?t=15973)

Jayse 03-Apr-2005 19:09

2003 749

Hello again!

So I've been offerred a 2k (miles) 2003 749bp and it's in my price range and apparently 'mint'. I've ridden a 749 for a day and I loved it, but before my heart rules my head, does anyone have anything to say about that particular year's 749 (I think there was an oil leak recall issue on some models).

Anything I should be asking apart from the usual service history story?

Ta ever so

J

Carbon749 03-Apr-2005 20:18

I have a very early 2003 749s. There were 2 possible oil coolers fitted. 1 is fine and the other will be checked and swapped under warranty / re-call during a servcie. I was lucky and the one fitted to my bike was the "good" one.

The only problem I've had with mine is that the battery has started to loose it's charge if left for a week or so. I know an optimate would help, but, I have been told that I could get it replaced under warranty. JHP here I come.

The bike has never missed a beat and always put's a big smile on my face when ever I'm out on it.

Hope that helps :)

Jayse 03-Apr-2005 21:28

It certainly does help, hoping for more positive tales!

If you're is the one with the black Fila paint job in your avatar, tis very nice indeed!

Carbon749 03-Apr-2005 21:37

Yep, it's my bike ... not black paint, it's all carbon fibre.

One thing to consider if you do go for a 749 is the gearing ... haveing read a few threads on DSC I am thinking of going up 2 teeth on rear the sprocket. I know it may take the edge of top end, but feel that the extra pull out of corners will make up for loosing a few mph.

timetrial 03-Apr-2005 21:40

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbon749

One thing to consider if you do go for a 749 is the gearing ... haveing read a few threads on DSC I am thinking of going up 2 teeth on rear the sprocket. I know it may take the edge of top end, but feel that the extra pull out of corners will make up for loosing a few mph.

yup - generally run with a 41T on the back of my '03 749s although I've got a full set so will be playing about a bit this year on the track.

Jayse 03-Apr-2005 21:42

Duh, your signature even says "carbon'. I suspect that's a bit light then!

The one I demo'd a while back was pretty good all-round but I only had a couple of hours on it, I'm pretty much 50/50 town and open road rider. So it may well be a good idea, then again, how quick does one have to be?? It's certainly quicker than my monster! :burn:

HW 04-Apr-2005 09:48

Hi, I went from ST4s (996 motor) to a 749s (Oct 2003) for road/town riding. I can't remember which oil cooler is the one you don't want, but a call to your dealer can confirm which is it. You will find the name written along the top of the cooler if you take the fairing side off. There was a "small risk" of an oil leak that would end up on the rear wheel. It can be done on service though if you have one coming up, not a big deal. If it has been dealer serviced then they should have done the recall checks and if not then they should be taken to task (IMHO). There was also a risk of a cable being trapped in the forks when turned to full lock, so if you look down the right hand side of the forks if you can see a P clip attached to the fork and holding the cable in position then that is done.

I love the 749s for road riding, very responsive and nimble. I put a termi can on it after a year and that woke it up a bit (as well as the neighbours but what the heck!). I recently took it on track for the first time and will be doing that a lot more having got hooked on the adrenalin rush, so I note the advice above of a 41T rear sprocket and might give that a go. I don't really feel I am missing anything on the road though, it's plenty quick enough.

Jayse 04-Apr-2005 12:52

I can't wait!

psychlist 04-Apr-2005 13:04

Slight change to the gearing, either 14 front OR 41 rear will make it more manageable around town ;)
Do both ends of you really fancy making a name for yourself as a local wheelie ace :P

HW 04-Apr-2005 13:19

Quote:

Originally posted by psychlist
Slight change to the gearing, either 14 front OR 41 rear will make it more manageable around town ;)
Do both ends of you really fancy making a name for yourself as a local wheelie ace :P

I "accidentally" increaed the rear on the ST4s I had to 43T from 39T. I naively ordered "per the user manual" from B&C Express and they confirmed the ratios for the year. Ducati had changed the gearing though and "calmed it down" for 2002 and although having a 2001 bike it was the calmer gearing (VERY long legged). With 4 up on the rear I was popping the front wheel up just coming out of junctions if I was not careful. Gets some mixed reactions from the public ... but might draw unwanted attention too. :roll:

(sorry ... none of that has ANYTHING to do with a 2003 749!)

[Edited on 4-4-2005 by HW]