Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Muffed up thread!!! (/showthread.php?t=332)

chris_of_1979 23-May-2003 10:49

Muffed up thread!!!

OK, I'm an idiot!!!

Managed to strip a thread by being ham-fisted.

Over tighted one of the LONG bolts that holds the clutch cover on. Any suggestions?

sevenfourate 23-May-2003 11:38

....let someone else do it next time !

You can get threads re-cut or "heli-coiled" i believe,it just depends how accessible the offending thread is.I dont know how much if any of the casing is removable,if its isnt i guess its an engine out job to fix it if heli-coiling is not an option.

I think there is six bolts isnt their ? - ive no idea how important it is to have all six in place.Some people ommit a few that ive seen if they have a half cover/open clutch cover - no doubt someone more technical than me will soon tell yer.

Best of luck.Regards Syer.

[Edited on 23-5-2003 by sevenfourate]

Felix 23-May-2003 11:52

Ouch! Unlucky!

The long bolts actually hold the side casing onto the engine casing, so the thread you stripped will not be accessible without taking the clutch side casing off, meaning removal of clutch, clutch basket, etc. This is a somewhat delicate job because there is a very large oil seal behind the clutch basket that makes it difficult to refit the side casing without damaging the oil seal. If you damage it, you'll have oil leaking into the clutch. Not good!

Helicoils and other similar products should work for this job but unless you're pretty handy with this sort of thing, I take it to someone more experienced. Remember, you'll have to drill out the thread in the engine case. Not a place to make a mistake!

Best of luck!

[Edited on 23-5-2003 by Felix]

chris_of_1979 23-May-2003 11:58

ooh - thought that might be the case. When I did it - the clutch cover was actually spaced out with some washers in order to vent it somewhat, so doubt I'll have stripped the whole of the thread out.

(crazy - done those bolts a million times before - but just one ham-fisted moment wrecks it)

Think I might try getting hold of a longer bolt first to see if the thread is still ok further back, and if there might be enough left of it.

Felix 23-May-2003 13:06

Use a wire coat hanger to see if it's a dead hole and how long a bolt it will take.