Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   General Motorcycles only (/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Tyres? Pirelli Diablos - Pah! (/showthread.php?t=31618)

twpd 04-Jun-2006 17:50

Tyres? Pirelli Diablos - Pah!

I don't like them that much. I tried a set on my Triumph a couple of years ago and wore them out in about 2000 miles. At the time I put it down to the bike being pretty heavy. Anyway, I bought some for my road-going 800 and they've been ok so far in terms of grip although they don't seem to have that much feel. Today, whilst hooning my way home the bike's handling seemed a bit off. On closer inspection I was shocked to find that they are knackered. I've worn this set out in 1300 miles :(

It's not like they are brilliantly grippy so that sort of mileage is crap. The front is worn out on the edges and the rear is worn out everywhere.

I'm a bit out of date with road tyres as I'm more familiar with race tyres. I like the venerable old Dunlop D207s which work well on a heavy bike like my Triumph but, I doubt they'll work on a light bike like the 800 - what's decent out there atm? I've tried Michelin's in the past and not liked them - my other 800 has Pilots on atm and I don't like them at all.

Suggestions?

Redruth 04-Jun-2006 17:57

I've just had Diablos fitted on the 996 and was out scrubbing them in yesterday. They felt good. Quite grippy for road tyres and I'm hoping I get a whole season's wear out of them. Definitely nicely warmed up by the time I got home and they look tougher than the last 2 sets of 208RRs I've had. Everyone does seem to rate the Diablos. I'm just wondering what it is you do that sh@gs your tyres so quickly (don't have to answer that, obviously ;-) )

twpd 04-Jun-2006 18:03

I open the throttle as soon as I can exiting every corner :) And I like to rag the bike a bit but, I'm no straightline or acceleration merchant. I won't be bothering with Diablos again at that sort of wear rate.

Half man half mole 04-Jun-2006 18:08

The mole rates them...........on a Ducati 748 SPS with 'Shazaam' recomended gearing and for road use, I find them perfect! Brought my confidence on no-end. And thats after 20 odd years on a wide variety of different bikes. Just my opinion....

Moley

Redruth 04-Jun-2006 18:12

Fair enough. They obviously don't suit your riding style. There's a write up in May's Bike magazine about road and track rubber. Looks like Tomahawk Sport RRP might suit you "Sport biased with a large contact patch that puts more rubber on the road. Its reduced shoulder tread offers better lean angles and less "feathering" under spirited riding conditions". I'll copy the pages and post it to you if you can't get hold of a copy. (need your address, obviously)

ali 04-Jun-2006 18:22

I know you know your way around a race track so I won't insult you by saying check your pressures, but it could well be suspension based. I've seen a 900SS knacker a set in a track day, but my superlight lasted a whole season (5,000m) including 5 track days on a set, something I'd credit to well setup suspension. They were well and truly gone when I ditched them but they didn't budge while on the bike.

The one major issue I've found with them is that track use tends to push the carcass left due to the prominence of right-handers, but they're a road tyre so you can't blame the manufacturer for that. I've tried a number of tyres with the ss chassis and Diablos suit me down to the ground, but I think that's more to do with profile/construction than the rubber.

If you're really hacked off I should take them to Pirelli and ask why they died so quickly. Even if they were corsas you should expect more wear than that.

Cheers,

Ali

twpd 04-Jun-2006 18:40

Well you might be right Ali. I have been playing around with my suspension a lot tyring different things. The tyres are showing no signs of distress that you would expect with overly hard suspension or excessive damping - they're just worn out all over. I guess it's possible that the variations I've been trying have stressed them more than normal.

I normally run the front at 33-34psi and the rear at 36-38 psi. The roads around here across the moors are pretty bumpy so, I tend to run the suspension fairly soft and compliant otherwise I'd spend a lot of time out of the saddle. This does make the bike move around a fair bit but, keeps the wheels on the road. Nevertheless, I do the same with my big heavy Triumph and that doesn't knacker the tyres so quickly.

For sure I have no complaints about the level of grip they give which, is more than adequate for road use. Just the wear rate is a bit excessive.

domski 04-Jun-2006 18:44

You're just a big bully aren't you - go on, admit it!!

Those poor Pirelli's never stood a chance :(

:lol::lol::lol:

twpd 04-Jun-2006 18:48

Fat barsteward more like!

skidlids 04-Jun-2006 19:30

Had the Diablo Corsa's on the 996 for almost a year now, lots of rideouts (including winter ones) the odd trackday and just general riding about, Almost 2500 miles so far and still going strong.