Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Air tubes (/showthread.php?t=3680)

uncledunnie 03-Oct-2003 13:39

Air tubes

Following on from Stephens recent post on the D57 thread........

The 998 board had a thread a while ago about air tubes, restrictors, etc.

I understand the 999 has helmholtz resonators (posh name for a plate with a hole in me thinks) installed on the intake side primarilly to reduce induction/intake noise.

Are they removable? If so, has anyone done this yet and does it make a difference, other than noise?

Also does the 999 suffer with the fairing intake csa Vs inlet tract csa conflict discussed on the 998 (etc.) board?

And finally! I have seen air tube covers available in cf, are there any replacement cf tubes on the market yet?

yellowisfriedegg 03-Oct-2003 15:31

Quote:

Originally posted by uncledunnie I have seen air tube covers available in cf, are there any replacement cf tubes on the market yet?

Casoli :sing:

uncledunnie 08-Oct-2003 15:35

I've just spoken to the chaps at Casoli, they only make the covers, not the tubes themselves.

nathanhu 11-Oct-2003 19:07

air tubes

these are avalable from Sebi moto
http://www.sebimoto.com or from
Ten kate in holland
Tel.: 0031/529/483481
in carbon or Fg

timetrial 07-Dec-2003 23:40

just to update this - QBCarbon now do the air-tubes aswell as the covers

:devil:

uncledunnie 08-Dec-2003 09:06

I've since seen the QB items, big money tho'.

My understanding also is that the 999 air tubes deal with resonance noise reduction by having a smaller tube formed in the plastic at 90 deg to the air flow which creates a noise at a frequency that counteracts certain areas of the frequencies generated by the induction. It is possible to cap them off for more noise but I do not believe that it provides a tangible net gain in performance.

I do not know if the QB items are larger in air flow terms than the originals.

Again, given the high prices I have decided to leave mine alone for the time being, with the resonators intact.

nathanhu 08-Dec-2003 20:56

air tubes

now also avalable at carbonworld --
http://www.carbonworld.de/oscommerce...roducts_id=340

or www.febur.it
(just updated website)
the items from carbonworld come with a fitting kit and extra coolant bottle. all for euro 499. cheap hobby this!

[Edited on 8-12-2003 by nathanhu]

stephens 01-Feb-2004 10:41

Quote:

Originally posted by nathanhu
now also avalable at carbonworld --
http://www.carbonworld.de/oscommerce...roducts_id=340

or www.febur.it
(just updated website)
the items from carbonworld come with a fitting kit and extra coolant bottle. all for euro 499. cheap hobby this!

[Edited on 8-12-2003 by nathanhu]
Anyone had experience with Carbon World? I am considering the airtubes, but have never heard or dealt with them before.

stephens 02-Feb-2004 06:13

Further news on the airtubes
I received my newly gasflowed heads last week and have made some interesting observations.
Stock each 999S heads/inlet flow 123lps or 260cfm at 25" of water
Each airtube flows 302cfm at 25" water.
After having my heads gas flowed, there has been a 10% increase in theorical power for the bike. I was concerned that the standard airtubes would not provide sufficient flow so had them checked.
Conclusion, the standard airtubes only pose a restriction on a bike with that produces more than 170hp. A problem for the 999RS04 with 189+hp but not for a streetbike.
I understand a few of you may be looking to replace them, because they look so restrictive, but the reality is they are not, so save your money.

uncledunnie 02-Feb-2004 09:54

interesting one that, carbonworld.de state an extra 4-8bhp with their tubes!!

They don't say with what state of engine tune tho!