Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   wheel spindle/crash bung help (/showthread.php?t=80408)

Jasper 22-Aug-2009 21:48

wheel spindle/crash bung help

I have now got my Ohlins FG43 repaired after the accident at Cadwell and am now looking to stop it happening again!!

Basically i want to put some fork sliders on,but the SP5 wheel spindle is solid!!
So,i i have two options(unless anybody knows different):

1.Drill the spindle(it is solid) to take a standard available fork protector,what will this do to the strength etc?
2.Get an alternative hollow front spindle-i don't know what will fit.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Jasper

chris.p 23-Aug-2009 10:38

Mmmm, Do not know what other spindle will fit those forks, drop Skidlids a PM, he will probably know or drill and tap the spindle I guess.

Chris:burn:

Jools 23-Aug-2009 14:04

Could you not use a spare standard axle, get some holes drilled and tapped in each end to take a suitable bolt for the protector? Something like an M8 thread about 10mm long in a 17mm axle wouldn't compromise the strength I wouldn't have thought, especially when there was a bolt in it.

Just a thought. An engineering whizz might be along in a minute

Jasper 23-Aug-2009 18:32

Yes mate.just don't have a spare wheel spindle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jools
Could you not use a spare standard axle, get some holes drilled and tapped in each end to take a suitable bolt for the protector? Something like an M8 thread about 10mm long in a 17mm axle wouldn't compromise the strength I wouldn't have thought, especially when there was a bolt in it.

Just a thought. An engineering whizz might be along in a minute

burtsp5 18-Sep-2009 23:52

Hi Jasp,

send me down all the measurments and i'll run one off for you at work, no worries.I'll drill and tap out the threads at 8 mm /1.25 pitch so you can fit them straight in.

Jasper 19-Sep-2009 10:29

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the offer mate,but I'm ok with lathes,mills and shaping machines.Thanks anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burtsp5
Hi Jasp,

send me down all the measurments and i'll run one off for you at work, no worries.I'll drill and tap out the threads at 8 mm /1.25 pitch so you can fit them straight in.