Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Race (/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Crowtree Leathers (/showthread.php?t=12143)

TP 01-Dec-2004 12:17

Crowtree Leathers

I need a one-piece suit for next years activities so have been weighing up the options.

I am considering waiting until the 'supposed' factory trip to see whats in the shop there but I've also been considering getting some custom made by crowtree. I find that a lot of off-the-peg stuff doesn't fit me very well so custom made makes sense.

Does anyone have any experience of crowtree? Or any other place that does tailor made suits in the UK that they could balance with?

Cheers,

TP

dickieducati 01-Dec-2004 12:26

tony , you should go and try some dainese on, just to see how they fit. if they suit you then 300 odd quid from the ducati staff place makes sence. if not maybe go down tailor made route.

p.s cheers for the grazes on my arm.

TP 01-Dec-2004 12:27

Quote:

Originally posted by dickieducati
tony , you should go and try some dainese on, just to see how they fit. if they suit you then 300 odd quid from the ducati staff place makes sence. if not maybe go down tailor made route.

p.s cheers for the grazes on my arm.

Grazes? No worries, it was that or help you pick up your teeth! You nobber!

dickieducati 01-Dec-2004 12:28

true - cheers!

you tried dainese leathers before ???

Steve M 01-Dec-2004 12:29

Crowtree are superb.

Not only are they made to fit you, but they make them suit the type of riding you will be doing, eg. you sit very different when racing than if touring on a Multistrada. On places like hips they use up to three layers of leather for extra protection. Loads of my mates used them when racing and they coped very well with some HUGE crashes.

You won't be dissapointed
;)

TP 01-Dec-2004 12:32

Quote:

Originally posted by dickieducati
true - cheers!

you tried dainese leathers before ???

No, I've tried their jackets but never a full suit. I've tried the Alpinestars suits but they just didn't feel right. With my similar experience with business suits (I'm glad I don't wear these at the moment) I was much better off in the tailored stuff.

TP 01-Dec-2004 12:35

Quote:

Originally posted by STEVE M
Crowtree are superb.

Not only are they made to fit you, but they make them suit the type of riding you will be doing, eg. you sit very different when racing than if touring on a Multistrada. On places like hips they use up to three layers of leather for extra protection. Loads of my mates used them when racing and they coped very well with some HUGE crashes.

;)

I've heard similar things about them. The other thing about custom made is I don't have to go with some OTT colour scheme ...

It's for racing so I want the best protection - everything I can do to keep me at work whilst contracting will pay for itself. I can't wait to ring BUPA and my insurance company ... NOT. Thanks Steve.

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by tp-996]

TP 01-Dec-2004 12:46

Quote:

Originally posted by weeksy
Carrera, 9 lives, BKS are the three most common others.

Speak to WJB as his no limits boys use custom mades too.

Personal rec from Carrera from me, guy is spot on and leatehrs very high quality

Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing BKS on his No Limits leathers ...

Cheers Steve.

Ian 01-Dec-2004 12:52

Quote:

Originally posted by tp-996
I am considering waiting until the 'supposed' factory trip to see whats in the shop there

There is no guarentee that the "shop" will have leathers, - it is not a normal shop with stock nicely laid out, - it is more piles of stuff that is surplus to requirements or last years (or year before that) colour scheme. It is a bit like a jumble sale, - a great jumble sale mind you. Also it could be a case of we get there and "Maria" has phoned in sick and nobody has the key that day, - it really is not a commercial setup, - it is Italian laid-back-ness at its best.

AndyVR6 01-Dec-2004 12:57

Quote:

Originally posted by STEVE M
Crowtree are superb.

;)

Yup. The fit for a full-on race suit is very snug and specific, so I wouldn't advise that for general road use. They're a great company, and your £800ish is going into materials and manufacture rather than marketing and retailing. The downside is that you have to visit Louth twice (convenient for Cadwell) and wait a while cos they prefer quality control over company growth. Also, the industrial strength does make them less comfortable for allround road use.

For racing, there's absolutely no comparison against crash-once-then-replace off the peg leathers. Look at and ask around any club racing paddock for proof. Different animal really. Maybe not so relevant if you ride safely on the road, but a definite consideration if into trackdays.

Alternatives are Hideout (nr Cambridge, excellent too), BKS (bigger, more organised, more expensive), MW (London, intentionally lighter built I believe), 9-lives and others.

The £300 Daineses - wasn't that a one-off from the factory last year (usually a staff-only price?) or are they always available at that sort of money when you visit?

Andy