Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   re: prev post - 748 no spark ???? (/showthread.php?t=1264)

trebor 29-Jun-2003 14:55

re: prev post - 748 no spark ????

after having the bike advertised a while - it seems nobody is interested - so - I will have another go at sorting the statring problem - taken onboard advice previously given - hope you guys may be able to help - i will start from the top - connectors / fuses / relays etc - will try to find crank sensor and tps and check what I can - connections etc - please any technical people out here - feel free to comment - im off today and tommorrow so will spend a couple of days at it.
Hope I can sort it - otherwise main dealer big bucks - thanks in advance

neil748r 29-Jun-2003 15:43

What year 748R is it? If it would help, I could scan the relevant pages from my MY00 748R workshop manual. Tells you how to check relays etc. Just let me know.

skidlids 30-Jun-2003 13:28

Is that no spark on both cylinders or just one, No location in your profile if you were close I may be able to pop over and help, It would be worth doing a ECU swap, doesn't have to be the correct chip to try for a spark, if a timing pulse is being generated from the crank sensor then another ECU may give a spark at the plugs same sort of thing applies to fitting your ECU to another bike. refreash my memory does your bike have a alarm or not.
Kev

kfz2 30-Jun-2003 16:41

To add.

Hasve you checked you have power to the coils?

Its worth giving the earths a once over.

Can you go thru the problem again ,sorry i missed it the first time.

trebor 02-Jul-2003 21:37

A local Ducati Enthusiast and owner ( for many years ) has had a look at he bike and has checked all wiring and sensors for continuity - he says there is no sensor or no wire on the bike that is non functional - he has the factory manual which has all the wiring diagrams.
He is confident that the ECU may be at fault - it would be nice to try another one on the bike just to see - but dont know anyone local with 748r - He has 916bp and 916sps which are totally different ECUs - I am in Middlesbrough - Teeside.
if anyone out there can help - I will gladly compensate you for your time - if it is ECU - do any of you guys know where there is one or where i can get mine repaired - anyone know how much they are new ?
Appreciate your responses chaps - thanks for trying to help
The bike is a 2000 Model - X reg -

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by trebor]

Dude 02-Jul-2003 22:34

trebor,

I live in Yarm and work in Middlesbrough. My bike is a 2001 748S if you want to try the ECU. Guido has a 748R and only lives 20 mins down the A19.

oh and Teesside has two s's ;)

Dude 02-Jul-2003 22:40

Have you had a look in the Market Place? Might be worth contacting this guy

andy bentley 02-Jul-2003 22:56

I have exactly the same problem. Bike's just come back from a service, it's done 20 miles, cut out four times and is now sitting in the garage not starting.

Have gone through everything including fuses, connectors, fuel pump, even emptied out the tank to see if I was seriously low on fuel and the fuel sensor had gone.

Funnily enough, it does look like it has gone, but it still won't start.

Like yours, mine isn't sparking either. I've checked only the front plug. Is it a single feed to both plugs or are there two seperate feeds? There is certainly no response from the rear cylinder on starting anyway.

I don't know if he's had the ECU out when checking over the bike. He's back from Assen tomorrow, so I'll be speaking to him.

I'll post the source of the problem for yer.

Cheers,

Andy

nelly 02-Jul-2003 23:29

A new ECU is £712 :o:o
I think your R runs a 1.6 ecu?? If it does then you should be able to use one from a BP or ST etc. Just change your eprom over. The SPS is definately different, as is the 998, S4 and the new stuff.

It sounds like your mate has done the tests and knows what he's doing, but checking "continuity" through the sensors won't necessarily prove they are working. Many of them need checking for resistance etc.
Possibly be a play on the wording but may be worth double checking?

trebor 03-Jul-2003 01:26

748 no spark - ??????

Dude
Would be great if you could speak to your mate.
I can put the bike in my van and take it over - save him any chew.
should only take 2 mins to swap ECU.

Could you email me with any news ?

Its no wonder I cant fix the bike - I cant even spoke proper England.

Ive already spoken to Garry Smith - he rang interested in my Bike.
Didnt think to ask him for electronic bits - mind you - had no idea which way I was going with the bike at the time

Cheers Dude

Nelly
it is 1.6 ECU your right - Never thought of swapping Eprom - top thinking mate.
I am sure if my Pal had the gear he could pinpoint it 100% - hes gone as far as he could but I hear what you say - A full system check is needed to check all tolerances and alike - the bikes going to dealers on Friday and they want £90 to check it out.
Would be nice to swap ECU before i go - Could save 90 Bar - would probably bring it to you if you were closer