Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Alarms and Related Security (/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Tracker and/or alarm???? Questions.... (/showthread.php?t=39001)

Wylie1 19-Nov-2006 01:12

Tracker and/or alarm???? Questions....

I know opinion on here seems to be that alarm's are more hassle than they're worth, but I've had a Datatool fitted for the past 4yrs without any probs & had a Meta fitted to the bike I had before my current bike (again, without any probs). Obviously an alarm on it's own offers no way of locating the bike if it's actually stolen, so I'm looking for an alternative solution.

Ideally, I'd like a reliable alarm that notifies me that it's going off, then some way of locating the bike if it's actually pinched.

Can anybody recommend anything that might be suitable?

Sharpy G 19-Nov-2006 01:29

Rick Cappella was doing a gps "tracker" system out of P&H motorcycles in Crawley, might be worth a look

weeveetwin 19-Nov-2006 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wylie1
I know opinion on here seems to be that alarm's are more hassle than they're worth, but I've had a Datatool fitted for the past 4yrs without any probs & had a Meta fitted to the bike I had before my current bike (again, without any probs). Obviously an alarm on it's own offers no way of locating the bike if it's actually stolen, so I'm looking for an alternative solution.

Ideally, I'd like a reliable alarm that notifies me that it's going off, then some way of locating the bike if it's actually pinched.

Can anybody recommend anything that might be suitable?

Have you had a look at the 'Snitcher'? It'll work alongside your alarm, and can be switched from bike to bike. http://datatool.themlondon.com/snitcher/

Wylie1 20-Nov-2006 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by weeveetwin
Have you had a look at the 'Snitcher'? It'll work alongside your alarm, and can be switched from bike to bike. http://datatool.themlondon.com/snitcher/

I'm looking at getting a new bike so I'll need a new alarm.

I had seen the ' Snitcher ', but the problem I have is that a Cat 1 alarm + Snitcher looks a wee bit pricey at £500'ish.

I've looked at Tracker as well, but it isn't recognised by insurance companies & doesn't have the alarm part.

Surely, there must be something on the market that does what I need that doesn't cost £500????

B19PSK 26-Nov-2006 17:55

I fitted a radio pager to my Datatool alarm, nearly 1/4 mile range in town and virtually line of sight (1 mile) in the open, any further than that and I'll be knackered by the time I got back to the bike. Nice feature is that for 15 minutes it shows an symbol to show you are in range, not so nice is that it has no vibration alert, and the pager sound is too low for noisy pubs etc.

Stradaman 23-Jun-2009 23:47

Tracker in the UK have had a price restructure the top of the range Monitor now retails at £299.00 full installed. just make sure you have a float charger and it will work fine

Ray 24-Jun-2009 16:02

There are very few places where a tracker can be hidden on a bike.

With any security device you have to ask what are you trying to achieve and which device, or devices can achieve that. You also need to assess what inconvenience you are prepared to tolerate. You also need to keep in mind that nothing is 100% secure.

what are you trying to do?

e.g. Don't want the bike to be removed from where you left. Noisy alarm and physical devices such as chains ground anchors etc.

e.g. Want to make the bike less attractive/worth less to the crims. Security marking like smart water, alpha dot, data tag etc.

Some mates hate alarms and the like that much they just pay up the increased insurance premium.

Ray.

Stradaman 24-Jun-2009 16:50

The tracker by design should be installed hidden away from obvious view, also dont tell anybody that you have one fitted, and a good installer will take the time to think of somewhere different to hid the unit.:)

Gobert23 22-Jul-2009 12:49

I've been lookin' at the Tracker systems, but I'm a little worried that my old(er) 916's wiring and a lot of 'tinkering' is just asking for trouble.

Anyone here removed the old Datatool Evo system and fitted a Tracker?

G