Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   No Confidence on 749 in wet (/showthread.php?t=8674)

spartacus 06-Jul-2004 00:07

No Confidence on 749 in wet

Greetings, not long got myself my 749S after riding CBR600's for the last couple of years on Brigestone tyres. The 749 is great and I have much fun on it, however I went out on it in the rain the other day and had no confidence in it at all, i was locking up the front and skidding through the lights frequently. I think the tyres fitted are michelin/Pirelli but can't quite remember :puzzled:
I am wondering if those that know, could offer me advice, I used to ride the CBR's in the wet not much slower than i rode them in the dry such was the confidence i had in the bike. Now i wondered if my lack of confidence could be down to the different tyres and whether or not I would really notice a difference in tyre makes?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Nigel C 06-Jul-2004 00:25

if it's fairly new then they are probably michelins.

bridgestones 010 012 012ss should all be fine as will be pirelli diablo's also the new bridgestone 014's are out now

michelins aren't too popular for some reason

Chef 07-Jul-2004 00:38

I had Mich pilot sports on my 748sps & they were crap in the wet (&cold) actually they were just crap

Get a set of Pirelli Diablo's & your problems will be solved

I used them in heavy rain at Almeria and overtook the Scandinavian 125 champion in the wet on the brakes at 110 - 120 and I'm just a fast novice/slow inter standard so they must be good!!

I say the fact he was on a 125 is irrelevant - he was still a champion - oh and he was 15...........

trust me it was the highpoint of 3 miserable days

psychlist 07-Jul-2004 00:39

Michelins take too long to warm up on the road.

BT010's every time.

Totto 16-Jul-2004 23:42

Had a test ride on a 999 with Mich on & i did not rate them at all

Diablo's or Diablo Corsa's for even more grip or BT12's orBT12SS
I would go for the Diablos ,

geoff m 28-Sep-2004 01:05

Just got my 916, within three days threw away the michelin pilot race taht were fitted, (suprise suprise) and had a pair of Diablo's. running at 32F / 34R been out this afternoon, hooning round Derbyshire / Matlock etc, in the rain !!hehehe

simple answer to riding in the wet, keep it smooth, avoid "jerky" inputs, if you think you cant get round the bend, go for it anyway, you will probably make it. Your tyres are far more capable than you think, (as long as they are in good nick and inflated correctly)
The diablo's even get warm in the rain, (well mine do) wet is ok, damp is ......hmmm.
I like to ride in the rain, makes you smoother...

or am I just sillly ??

Geoff M

today i will mostly be....DAMP :P

chris.p 28-Sep-2004 09:01

The standard Diablo is rich in Silica & very good in the wet, the Diablo Corsa, has little or no silica as it is a track day/race tyre for dry conditions, so for all round ability the standard Diablo is best on the road.

Chris.:roll:

psychlist 28-Sep-2004 14:58

BT014

Thanks for the revelation Tyreman! Ab Fab! :roll:

Check out Steve at Wraysbury Tyres, excellent service, excellent prices and excellent coffee too!

Jools 28-Sep-2004 14:59

As a complete Diablo convert (the ordinary ones, not the Corsas) I have just found the only flaw with them.

Having done two trackdays and about 4K miles on a set, I have nothing but praise for their grip and the mileage you can squeeze out of them.

But...when they start to go off, they go off very quickly and get all squirmy once they're worn. And, they seem to be worn out and squirmy when visually they seem to have a reasonable amount of tread left.

After the DSC trackday at Rockingham, they got a bit blue round the edges, but still seemed to have a couple of mm wear left. I've done a few rideouts since then and went out on Sunday with tyres that seemed to have another 5-600 miles on them, just enough for the last ride before some serious fettling takes place. Got to the pub at the end of the ride out (150-ish miles) and they were ragged.

Brilliant tyres, but change them when there looks like there's another thousand miles left on them

aws 28-Sep-2004 18:38

Michelins get a bad press.
I did a CSS 2 day camp in Spain and it's the only time I have ever had my toes down on the right - that was on Pilot Sports.
Have run Michelin slicks and you can take serious liberties with your bike and they stick like glue.
Whatever you feel happy with.
Swapping tyres may lead you to the wrong conclusions and it may be your riding style on a VTwin in wet conditions.
Give the tyres a chance to prove themselves in the dry too.
There is much talk of silica this and silica that, ride them in various conditions and then let us know - maybe in a back to back comparison as if you get it into your head that they are dangerous, you might as well change them.
It would be more psychological that fact me thinks though.

Just my pennies worth.

Tim