Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Ducati discontinue the ST4s (/showthread.php?t=21546)

Red Steve 07-Sep-2005 00:52

Ducati discontinue the ST4s

Called into my local dealer on Saturday to book in my ST3 for a service after a 1500 trip to Prague.

Got chatting to salesman about how impressed I'd been with the bike (minor niggles aside) and wondered how many they had sold this year...1 he said and that was mine!

He then showed me a letter from Ducati advising of the demise of the ST4 which is to be discontinued, but gave no reason as to why. The dealer guessed that slow sales were to blame. They had sold only 2 this year so far.

There was no mention of the ST3, but how much longer they can continie to make a model that isn't selling is anyones guess.

My advice is to think seriously if you are considering buying an ST4 given the effect on future values.

Alternatively any dealers carrying stock may be up for a bit of a deal! My ST3 is a cracking bike and the ST4 probably more so.

HW 07-Sep-2005 03:10

ST4 or ST4s?

The ST range started to struggle when the Multistrada came out.

rockhopper 07-Sep-2005 10:54

I think the ST4 finished a while ago. The ST4S and the ST4S ABS are the current bikes along with the ST3.

I'd have a multi strada but to me they look like they've been hit really hard with the ugly stick.

mara 07-Sep-2005 11:09

I recently bought a mint 2002 ST4 with 7000 miles from Ducati Leeds and landed a really good deal (in my opinion). So its not all bad news, there were similar ST4s's with more miles, but there was a much better deal to be done on the ST4.

Great Ducati engine, great Ducati handling, comfortable size for a tall guy (not all Duke's do this), panniers so I get more use of the bike and all seriously affordable. A bit of a frumpy look around the headlight etc, but a great bike.

As far as I'm aware the ST4s is still a part of the range, I think the end of the ST4 is only natural, with the 3, 4, 4s and 2 Multistradas, there's only so many multipurpose new bikes are going to sell (especially italian ones), so dropping the 4 was only natural.

ariel 07-Sep-2005 11:40

ST3 Sales Volume

It's surprising how badly ST3 sales are going. The pre launch hype from Ducati seemed to have gone well and the bike was pretty well received in most quarters except the all important review from Bike Magazine where it was really slated. They only give the Bike a 2 star rating, which seems very unfair.
The reviewer described the bike as old fashioned with an air cooled engine!
From my experience of riding the bike, I find it an excellent sports tourer, comfortable with good handling capability, a very free revving engine and even steady mirrors which allow one to see what's going on behind.
It must be said, however, that Ducati did themselve's no favours with the low down fuelling set up on the early bikes.Once modified with the new ECU and valve springs the low speed running is transformed and is almost perfect.
Finally I would advise anybody who wants a sports tourer that the ST3 is as good as it gets. The latest models even have a wet clutch for those amongst us who crave such things.

Mark 07-Sep-2005 12:23

On another note, I've just read, there will be a new S4R, with the testastretta engine. Maybe the ST4S is being dropped, to make way for the test engined ST, but then again, if sales are down, why flog a dead donkey?

Red Steve 09-Sep-2005 10:06

I understand it is the ST4s (both ABS & Non ABS models).

I agree with Ariel about the ST3.Bike had one on their test fleet last year where it got a really good review, then came in for some flack in a recent sport tourer group test. The bike as far as I'm concerened is awesome. It will top nearly 160mph, is comfortable, and as I just proved after a 13 hour non-stop ride through The Czech Republic, Germany Belgium and France 2 up, it can tour with the best of them.

This weeks MCN gave it a really good write up which I'm hoping might pursuade some others to look at it as an alternative to the usual suspects.

My guess is that like all Ducati's the reputation for breaking down/electrical problems and high servicing costs is putting a lot of people off.

YMFB 09-Sep-2005 10:28

Quote:

Originally posted by Red Steve
I understand it is the ST4s (both ABS & Non ABS models).

I agree with Ariel about the ST3.Bike had one on their test fleet last year where it got a really good review, then came in for some flack in a recent sport tourer group test. The bike as far as I'm concerened is awesome. It will top nearly 160mph, is comfortable, and as I just proved after a 13 hour non-stop ride through The Czech Republic, Germany Belgium and France 2 up, it can tour with the best of them.

This weeks MCN gave it a really good write up which I'm hoping might pursuade some others to look at it as an alternative to the usual suspects.

My guess is that like all Ducati's the reputation for breaking down/electrical problems and high servicing costs is putting a lot of people off.

What amazed me about this article is that the MCN verdict compared it with the MZ, I know I am biased but thats ridiculous. The second opinion seemed far more realistic.

pcn1 09-Sep-2005 11:37

Look on the bright side, if everybody had a Ducati they would loss their exclusiveness !

Monty 09-Sep-2005 12:30

The ST4S has been dropped from the 2006 range-at least in America it has so expect that to follow everywhere. The ST3 is virtually as fast, just lacks a bit of top end shove in comparison to a standard ST4S-thankfully mines not standard :devil:
With the introduction of the new S4R using the testastretta engine the ST4S was the only bike still using the old 996 lump so was bound to be canned. They sell a lot more ST range bikes in Europe and North America-the UK is mainly sports bike orientated-I won't be parting with my ST4S-to quote one of JHP's mechanics when he test rode it after servicing it 'it's a fecking missile'!

John