Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Tunnel or Ferry? (/showthread.php?t=31087)

rapidomoto 24-May-2006 20:02

Tunnel or Ferry?

Riding down to Pau next week, any recomendations on either using the Tunnel or Ferry? Worried about the bike getting scratched up on the ferry, worries justified? Do they allow bikes on the tunnel? Havn't checked the relevant web-sites yet, thought I'd ask you lot first. :burn:

Bungi 24-May-2006 20:06

tunnel
for sure

you get to stand by your bike, ferrys tie them down and you cant check its ok,

much quicker too

itexuk 24-May-2006 20:19

Tunnel is by far the best

ali 24-May-2006 20:31

Tunnel every time, or ferry newhaven-dieppe (is it still running).

BDG 24-May-2006 23:40

Sorry to disagree but for Pau it would have to be a Portsmouth to Le Havre (or St Malo) crossing.

The tunnel takes bikes, but its so much further north and the roads heading south are pretty boring. You can get on some better roads quicker from Le Havre or St Malo.

Ferry companys are OK with bikes, just stand there and check how they strap the bike down.

CK 25-May-2006 08:22

Quote:

Originally posted by BDG
Sorry to disagree but for Pau it would have to be a Portsmouth to Le Havre (or St Malo) crossing.

The tunnel takes bikes, but its so much further north and the roads heading south are pretty boring. You can get on some better roads quicker from Le Havre or St Malo.

Ferry companys are OK with bikes, just stand there and check how they strap the bike down.

^ ^
wot 'e said:)

ath748 25-May-2006 08:31

Tunnel. Get off at the other side, take the D940 south, direction Boulogne. Fantastic road to wake you up. Then do some boring autoroutes to get the miles done.

BDG 25-May-2006 11:40

Quote:

Originally posted by ath748
Tunnel. Get off at the other side, take the D940 south, direction Boulogne. Fantastic road to wake you up. Then do some boring autoroutes to get the miles done.

D940 is fun but its not very long, still not worth it for Pau in my not very humble opinion. In fact i like being opinionated.
And in addition although i dunno where you live but if you're not in a mad rush for the ferry there are more nice roads going down to Portsmouth than down to Folkestone.

Trust me please (someone's got to) :lol::devil: go via Le Havre or St Malo. Not only are they far closer to Pau, there are loads of better biking routes.

The tunnel is great for other parts of France, or just jumping on the Autoroute, in fact i'm using the tunnel this weekend but i'll be autorouteing in the car.

ath748 25-May-2006 12:37

Fair enough. It is your opinion.
:P

But if it's destination that you're after, then yes a ferry to a closer port is probably better. ;)

gordonparker 25-May-2006 15:20

The ferries have improved greatly and are very careful these days, I have used both P&O and Sea France without problems. With Sea France they even have a cradle that both wheels sit in and very secure, last year the guy's even bumped started me when the starter packed up.
Sea France approx £35-40 each way and maybe cheaper for a return