Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   False neutrals - chain tension - what's the connection? (/showthread.php?t=265)

Rattler 20-May-2003 08:53

False neutrals - chain tension - what\'s the connection?

In response to a previous thread (old board) on my numerous false neutrals, a couple of guys suggested checking the chain tension.

What's the deal with this? Too tight? Too loose?

What's the effect?

Ta
Tim

Dibble 20-May-2003 16:38

well too tight and you might find the rear wheel a little closer to the front one than you would have liked, too loose and you might as well where it round your neck for all the good it will do ....

Hope that helps ....

"Hammmmmmertime"

Rattler 20-May-2003 17:05

Thanks for your valued, informative, consise, considered opinion - Now get back to the Cafe!!!

Jon 20-May-2003 18:28

Tim not sure why but when ever I start getting to many or can't locate first gear at lights etc, I always adjust chain and hey presto, no more falsies

Jon

Rattler 20-May-2003 19:06

Thanks Jon
I'll give it a try..
Tim

Ian 20-May-2003 20:29

for years whenever my chain as been loose on any bike I seemed to pick up more false neutrals, - the Superlight would really suffer when down shifting coming off a motorway, then the clutch seemed to have no effect as I tried to ease her back into gear, best just give her a boot and be gentle with the clutch. I am no expert but I guess it is something to do with keeping the chain at tension which in turn keeps some resistance on the gearbox. Sounds rightish anyway.

[Edited on 20-5-2003 by Ian]