Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   749 Which Plugs to use> (/showthread.php?t=87121)

jangol 19-Mar-2012 21:10

749 Which Plugs to use>

Guys...

Still getting used to all this self maintenance lark :)

I've owned 3 748's (a few years back), after 4 years without a bike, I picked up a early 749...

as Per a previous thread, its such a pain to start, so I'm just working through what may be causing it..

What spark plugs would do a good job...

any ideas would be a great help...

Regards
JA

KeefyB 19-Mar-2012 23:26

The handbook says the standard plug is a Champion RG4 HC,....or you could use an NGK CR9E.
Just be aware when you change plugs,you will need a very thin walled socket to get them out.There aint a lot of room in the head recess.

skidlids 19-Mar-2012 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeefyB
The handbook says the standard plug is a Champion RG4 HC,....or you could use an NGK CR9E.
Just be aware when you change plugs,you will need a very thin walled socket to get them out.There aint a lot of room in the head recess.

Removal is a bit easier with the Champions than with the NGKS

RickyX 20-Mar-2012 14:05

My 749 was a pig to start when I first got it.

I put a new battery in it and it starts first time now, even when it has been sitting unused for weeks (not even on a trickle charger).

RX

jangol 20-Mar-2012 19:04

Thanks guys...

Took 1st plug out (the easiest one to get to :) ) which was a NGK CR9E, it looked a little worse for wear to be honest, ordered a pair of them! turning up 2moz,

I should have removed the seat & tank to get to the other one by then (I'm guessing that's what I need to do, to remove it

Ordered a new fuel filter to.... as I'll have the tank off, to get to the 2nd plug...

Battery is always on a charger, but could be @ fault also.. will give it a test 2moz....

casey749 25-Mar-2012 00:12

I have done service last month. I fitted new plugs (NGK iridium) and bike was starting poorly. I decided to fit back genuine Champion RG4HC and engine started at firs time. I think iridium is ok on hot weather.