Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Shazaam! on Electrical systems (/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   998 battery on a 916? (/showthread.php?t=41335)

gasmanrus 19-Feb-2006 16:17

998 battery on a 916?

want to relocate the battery on my 916 and have found the 998/999 battery is a fair bit smaller dimension wise.

would i be ok to fit the smaller battery? if it starts a 998/9 shouldnt it be ok?

just wanted to check.

cheers rus

skidlids 19-Feb-2006 17:31

They also fitted the smaller battery to the later 996s using a spacer in the battery box.
I am led to believe that to allow for the smaller battery they changed the starter system so that it put less load on the battery.

chris.p 19-Feb-2006 17:31

Thought about this on my 748, but was informed that the newer smaller batteries have a lower amp rating, sticking with my larger more ooomph one.

Chris.:burn:

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by chris.p]

gasmanrus 19-Feb-2006 18:33

cheers for that. gonna try one anyway. if it aint got the oomph i'll think of somthing else ( 2 smaller ones in parallel maybe?):eureka:

wilf 19-Feb-2006 19:56

You should be ok with the smaller battery.

The 998 has a shorter stroke crank, so, like the 748, its easier to turn over (less piston travel per rev) the smaller batteries are ok on 748/916/998 but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

You can buy the adaptor from any Duc dealer (most should keep them in stock) dont quote me but i think they're under £10. no doubt i'll be put right if they are more:lol:

Jon 25-Feb-2006 23:18

Quote:

Originally posted by wilf
You should be ok with the smaller battery.

The 998 has a shorter stroke crank, so, like the 748, its easier to turn over (less piston travel per rev) the smaller batteries are ok on 748/916/998 but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

You can buy the adaptor from any Duc dealer (most should keep them in stock) dont quote me but i think they're under £10. no doubt i'll be put right if they are more:lol:

Interesting that you say that Wilf, my brother was complaining today that h's had to go out and get a new battery for his 916sps. The bike still wouldn't fire up and he got concerned when the battery leads started to smoke:o

Any ideas

Shazaam! 26-Feb-2006 02:58

Not a good idea. The newer bikes that came with the smaller batteries have a different starter motor gearing to accomodate the lower available starting current.

RickyX 28-Feb-2006 14:36

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon
Quote:

but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

Interesting that you say that Wilf, my brother was complaining today that h's had to go out and get a new battery for his 916sps. The bike still wouldn't fire up and he got concerned when the battery leads started to smoke:o

Any ideas

My 916SPS did this the other day when I tried to turn it over for its monthly garage run.
Needless to say - it didn't start.
I find it handy to have a fire extinguisher nearby - to put out the flames caused by blood-boiling-frustration! :sing:
This is also known as "character" and is why we love these machines that cause to jump up and down in frustration!

RX

Jon 28-Feb-2006 19:48

Quote:

Originally posted by RickyX
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon
Quote:

but 996 and 996 S / SPS can be a bugger to push over tdc with a power station hooked up to them, let alone the small battery.

Any ideas

My 916SPS did this the other day when I tried to turn it over for its monthly garage run.
Needless to say - it didn't start.
I find it handy to have a fire extinguisher nearby - to put out the flames caused by blood-boiling-frustration! :sing:
This is also known as "character" and is why we love these machines that cause to jump up and down in frustration!

RX

:lol: Spoke to my brother the day after to find that she had fired up after spell on the optimate. He did confess to holding the starter button down for a tad longet than he should heve.

Nattyboy 01-Mar-2006 19:11

Im running a 998 battery on my 888 (which runs the same standard battery as the 916) with no problems. The ducati adaptor part number 82912701A I think and lists at £6.24 and tidies it all up nicely !

Nat