Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   1198 / 1098 / 848 (/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   848 Evo shock corrosion issues (/showthread.php?t=92773)

riskypicker 03-Apr-2012 21:53

848 Evo shock corrosion issues

Hi

Ive been looking at getting an 848 Evo.

Had a 1098S but had issues with starting and clutch overheating so sold it for a GSXR 1000 which was fast but didnt like to stop. And didnt look or sound like a Ducati so ive sold it.

Ive looked at 3 848s. None had a hugger fitted, all were describes as 'like new' or 'excellent condition' but all had corrosion on the bottom rose joint for the ride height adjuster and all had issues on the shock body or the adjuster in the center of the reservoir.

Is this a common thing on the Showa suspension? One i looked at has new forks replaced under warranty.

Im sufficiently concerned to have halted my persuit of one for now.

Anyone else got any issues?

Thanks

Chaz 04-Apr-2012 11:31

Not really seen a problem & Showa forks & shocks are also fitted to jap bikes, I recon it's because people wash their bikes off & don't spray any lube or protection on the vulnerable areas, after saying that a hugger or some sort of shock guard is a good idea as they do collect all the crudd.

bradders 04-Apr-2012 12:49

as Chas says, plus many get washed and put back in the garage wet and not used for a while so corrode - know that from experience

pete.lightbody 06-Apr-2012 08:11

Never had a problem with a Showa shock.

That said a hugger is a must if the bike is being used regularly.

As the guys mention, you can never just wash a bike and put it away if you want to avoid corrosion.

First thing I look for on a bike, if I am buying, is the condition of the folks and chain. Gives you a clear picture as too how the bike has been kept.

ATB

Pete

riskypicker 06-Apr-2012 19:40

Ive never had a problem with any of my bikes corroding like the 2 848s i saw.

Ive run 2 Hondas through winter and had less.

It must just be down to the owners not putting a hugger on, and not having the same idea of what a clean bike it.

Oh well, my search continues.

Dementor 06-Apr-2012 21:15

Simple....................fit Ohlins ;)