Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New Clutch help please (/showthread.php?t=12253)

888heaven 06-Dec-2004 22:03

New Clutch help please

Ive just stripped down the T8s clutch as it was shrieking a bit and its totally worn out.
the clutch basket is well notched and some of the plates are blueish
question do I replace everything, are there any updated parts etc and where can I mailorder for the best deal.
thanks ian.
:puzzled:

Nigel C 06-Dec-2004 22:13

Have you checked the wear limit ? if they are not too worn
you can clean the plates up with emery or glass paper it's worked wonders on mine should last me till the new year when i can get some new plates

yeti 06-Dec-2004 22:16

You do't say what bike this is for so I am assuming it's a 888. If the basket is notched, then basically it's had it. Won't get better, only worse. Blue plates sound like it's been getting a bit hot, but that could imply be down to the clutch slipping as it wears out.

Would strongly suggest replacing the lot then at least you know exactly what's in there. Nelly at Cornerspeed has some pretty good deals on clutches, suggest you give him a call and have a chat. - 01623 758877

888heaven 06-Dec-2004 23:03

clutch

thanks
yeti yes its the 888 and nigel i havent checked any dims on play yet as it was getting late and cold last night.
in the ducati workshop manual they talk of the bell is this the basket there refering to?play must not exceed .023 and springs 1.437.
I will ring cornerspeed tom.
thanks ian.

Redsps 06-Dec-2004 23:29

should be a bog standard item mate, unless it's been messed about with.
try snells, I have allways managed to get one from them for my 851, from stock.
Should be same as an early 916 item.
Baines have them aswell.
as do JHP

cheers
robin

Nattyboy 07-Dec-2004 01:11

Im in the same boat mate...my clutch is knackered..Baines shimeed it out as much as they could for the previous owner ? Popular conversion is to go for the ally basket/setup I believe as its a little quieter etc ??..I sure I know someone recently who had an (ally) ST setup put on recently.

Cheers
Nat

TP 07-Dec-2004 01:14

Quote:

Originally posted by Nattyboy
Im in the same boat mate...my clutch is knackered..Baines shimeed it out as much as they could for the previous owner ? Popular conversion is to go for the ally basket/setup I believe as its a little quieter etc ??..I sure I know someone recently who had an (ally) ST setup put on recently.

Cheers
Nat

Ally plates are noticeably quieter than steel ones - and the ST4s plates are ally.

888heaven 08-Dec-2004 22:29

New clutch

thanks everyone
Neil from cornerspeed done the buisness ally clutch/basket 48 teeth quieter and longer lasting.
i'll let you know how i get on
Im giving it a severe looking over this winter new chain with smaller front sprog and set of head races to go on and different front pads.
ps
tp-996/natty
Neil is cheaper than baines if thats any help.
ian
:roll:

paynep 08-Dec-2004 23:37

Does the 48tooth job use the standard centre drum and springs?

I've got a 748R slipper on my 888 but damaged the basket when I crashed at Pembrey.
It's a bit grabby now and having watched it while it runs in gear (not easy!) the basket looks a bit p*ssed.................

Cheers, Paul

nelly 09-Dec-2004 00:02

Yes Paul, The 48T basket will work with any Ducati dry clutch. The drum assembly, with slipper if present, and the springs will work just fine.