Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Powder Coating (/showthread.php?t=32462)

LeeeeeeL 22-Jun-2006 11:04

Powder Coating

After seeing some pictures of black wheels with the grey frames anyone have any recommendations and/or idea of price to have 749 wheels black powder coated.

antonye 22-Jun-2006 11:27

Had my frame done on the SS and it was £95 + VAT

I think they quoted wheels at about £40 each, but don't forget that you need to remove the bearings from them before getting them done, so factor in the cost of a new set of bearings (and fitting) to the overall cost.

I'm tempted to have my wheels painted black (as I can probably get them done free) rather than powder coated. You don't need to remove the bearings as they mask them off, so might be a cheaper / easier solution?

LeeeeeeL 22-Jun-2006 12:53

I take it the overall effect of the wheel painting is almost as good then ?

antonye 22-Jun-2006 13:02

Yes, if done right. You'd want them stripped back and prepared well, just like any paint.

When powder coating they just leave it in an acid bath overnight to strip all the **** off it, then coat it - hence the need to remove all bearings and bearing surfaces. Headraces need to be pressed in, which is a pain to do if you don't have the right equipment or you end up paying more!

keefer 22-Jun-2006 13:19

any items I have had sprayed or coated have been bead blasted not dipped
head races on the 916 model bikes just unbolt and come away as a sleeve.
not sure about the 999 series bikes. depends if the steering head is adjustable or not I suppose

Wave 22-Jun-2006 16:49

1 Attachment(s)
I do like the Black wheels, the swingarm isnt too bad.
But it was the previous owner than done this.