Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   JHP air box filter (/showthread.php?t=81246)

Col996s 09-Dec-2009 12:52

JHP air box filter

Hi
After much fafing around with air filters and carbon air tubes I think I've decided to go for a JHP airbox filter.

Anybody got a spare one that they no longer need that I could buy off them?

Mr C 09-Dec-2009 17:54

Nice way to sap power

Col996s 09-Dec-2009 19:55

Believe me I've looked at all the options and if I want to go with the bling I've no other real affordable option.
Will I really notice a 3bhp loss?

Jasper 09-Dec-2009 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col996s
Believe me I've looked at all the options and if I want to go with the bling I've no other real affordable option.
Will I really notice a 3bhp loss?

NOPE!!

JHP John 09-Dec-2009 20:59

Mr C next time you are in the Midlands please call into the shop and I will show you the flow readings from my flow bench, with std filter, with JHP filter and without filter. without doubt a fresh engine without filter flows marginaly better than a fresh engine with JHP ( or std ) filter but the fresh engine without filter is very soon a worn engine with poorly seating valves and considerably down on power to a filtered engine. Of course if money and frequent rebuilds are no problem go without filters ! jhp john

Col996s 09-Dec-2009 21:56

Looks like I'll have to buy a new one from you then John.
Looking for a good price? :lol:

JHP John 09-Dec-2009 22:48

Hello Col996S
No problem 10% to all DSC members for most spares, just quote your membership details.
Best regards

jhp john

Mr C 10-Dec-2009 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHP John
Mr C next time you are in the Midlands please call into the shop and I will show you the flow readings from my flow bench, with std filter, with JHP filter and without filter. without doubt a fresh engine without filter flows marginaly better than a fresh engine with JHP ( or std ) filter but the fresh engine without filter is very soon a worn engine with poorly seating valves and considerably down on power to a filtered engine. Of course if money and frequent rebuilds are no problem go without filters ! jhp john

Only problem with the ITG/JHP filters is the space that is taken up in what is designed as a pressured airbox. I have used the in tube PiperX ones in the past But in this case he cant use them.
What kind of time scale untill things become worn? Surely not unless you live in the desert running without a filter wont hugley add premature wear to valve seats??
I know of some who have used high denier tights as air filters!!
Big plus point if the JHP type filters are if you end up upside down and tankless in the gravel there is less chance of kitty litter ending up down the inlets.

Col996s 10-Dec-2009 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C
I know of some who have used high denier tights as air filters!!

Funny you should say that but I was thinking the same. What would be wrong in stretching them over the holes where the pipes join the airbox? I'm being serious.

andyb 10-Dec-2009 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col996s
Funny you should say that but I was thinking the same. What would be wrong in stretching them over the holes where the pipes join the airbox? I'm being serious.

im just imagining you going into a shop and asking for a pair of tights................"NO, NO NO, there for my bike, honestly!"

"Of course Sir, special party at Christmas is it?":lol: :lol: