Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   1198 / 1098 / 848 (/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   1098 Rad leak (/showthread.php?t=291242)

custard749 19-Mar-2014 16:53

1098 Rad leak

Hi guys

My 1098 is a 2007 with 17,000 miles on it and it has just had its rad fail.
Yes, the normal place they always go, top left hand corner under the bracket.
I have found a radiator company that will re core it for me for £230 as apposed to paying £635 from Ducati.

My problem is though it could happen again due to it being the same radiator, so was thinking of beefing up the bracket at the top left.

Has anybody else done this???

Bionicle 25-Mar-2014 06:52

Have you checked with your local Ducati dealer if they will replace your rad under warranty ? mine went outside the warranty period but as it is a known fault it was replaced FOC,

Don't think you need to beef it up though as they changed the rads when they became aware it was an issue.

dunlop0_1 25-Mar-2014 07:54

I'm not familiar with the 1098 fault but I usually tig weld the aluminium ones like the 996.

Clippy 31-Mar-2014 15:54

1098 radiator leak

Mine did this at the end of last year and faced with the options of replace at silly money or re-core at half the silly money I took the advice Kempston Radiators in Bedford and allowed them to seal the top tube on the core which is the one that always splits.

There should, according to them, be no further leaks - they've done a few of these over the years and have never seen one come back - and it cost less than 60 quid all in including a re-spray to make it look smart again.

This will, of course, have reduced the cooling capacity of the rad, but the argument was that this wouldn't really matter much at speed, and when stuck in stationary traffic the top tube is not covered by the fans so shouldn't make a huge difference at the point where the bike is likely to get hottest.

We'll see how things go as the weather warms up...

Clippy