Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle (/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Anti virus help (/showthread.php?t=29358)

Dave G 14-Apr-2006 10:04

Anti virus help

I've currently got AVG on my machine but its become very intrusive and locks up my machine and slows it right down while it does all its checks. I've now lost patience with this and its daily downloads,and have started to switch off my machine to regain control.
What can I replace it with?
I've had norton in the past and would prefer something else.
The broadband wireless router has a firewall built into it and I also have BT's facilities (though have never used them properly)
I want something that will work in the background and not take over my machine at inconveniant times to run system checks or scans.
Ideas?

chris.p 14-Apr-2006 10:09

If you set the automatic updates & system scan to a time when you have the computer on but will not be using it, it can do its job with out intruding on anything that you are working on. Any virus checker will slow you computer down to a degree while it is scanning.

Chris.:burn:

Fordie 14-Apr-2006 10:37

Dave do you have a Anti Spyware programe fitted. Im always amazed at how many bugs get into the system and slow things up . Ad-Aware is a freebie one worth installing.4D

Chief R.B. 14-Apr-2006 10:51

I run AVG and agree with chris, any anti-virus/spyware software will slow a computer down plus i think its better to run scans when no other program is running so i normally run everything manually and just leave the computer running while im watching the racing at weekends!

antonye 14-Apr-2006 12:42

I switched from Notrun to AVG and the improvement in the performance was noticeable.

Windows does a lot of things in the background that you might not be aware of - downloading security updates, checking the registry, doing backups, defragging the disk, etc etc

Brent 14-Apr-2006 13:21

I use AVG as well - schedule scans for when I'm not using the PC, and don't have any problems.

Spen 14-Apr-2006 18:46

I got so fed up with antivirus and spyware crap slowing my computer down, I've bought an Apple Mac, bloody brlliant. No Antivirus or spyware programmes necessary......

yeti 13-Dec-2006 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spen
I got so fed up with antivirus and spyware **** slowing my computer down, I've bought an Apple Mac, bloody brlliant. No Antivirus or spyware programmes necessary......

Aye, and software four times the price.....Brilliant!

Iconic944ss 13-Dec-2006 20:24

I have AVG set to download updates everyday at 1am and to start a full system scan at 2am so that its usually complete by about 6am.

Path to alter settings >> Test Centre >> Scheduler > Settings

(basic plan & update)

I believe that any version prior to 7.5 will not be supported soon so most users will be asked to update at some time.

Cheers - Frank

twpd 13-Dec-2006 22:30

Linux :)

...or wot everyone else said about scheduling when you are not using the pc.