Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Tyres - so what make would people prefer (/showthread.php?t=79165)

skidlids 16-Apr-2009 22:21

Tyres - so what make would people prefer

be nice if we could keep this to just those racing in DD
only one vote per person
choices are

Pirelli
Metzeler
Bridgestone
Michelin
Dunlop
Avon
Maxxis
Continentals

of which I have raced on 5 of the above and 5 of the above were asked at the begning of 2005 about supporting DD with a single control tyre, of which one was happy to write a letter of suitability while three others wouldn't

Ghost 16-Apr-2009 22:55

The poll is only for a make/manufacturer Kev not the model of that manufacturer, as such is of no use.

skidlids 16-Apr-2009 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost
The poll is only for a make/manufacturer Kev not the model of that manufacturer, as such is of no use.

I wouldn't say it was of No use

ideally you need to decide on a make before you consider model
Say the majority wanted to race on Mezelers then they would need to be approached to see if they had a tyre suitable for the series that could be used both wet and dry, if they haven't then there is no point in getting in to deeper discussions with them.
Firstly you need to know which tyre manufacturers will support a single tyre option, in 2005 we found One such company after several were approacehed following a riders meeting held early that year.

If nobody wants to use say Continentals then wold there be much point in discussing the issue with them.
If the majority want to stay with Pirelli and they specify a tyre from there range that is suitable then why wouldn't we want to use it.

Ghost 17-Apr-2009 16:55

Fair point.

ChrisBushell 17-Apr-2009 16:58

Kev,

The book I was reading on the train this afternoon, was all about the Maserati 250F racers from the 50s, it seems they had tyre problems back them.

Interesting thing is that we apear to have missed their favorite brand off your list:- ENGLEBERT

Perhaps we could resurect that famous name

trouty 17-Apr-2009 17:25

wheres the option for Koncorde?

antonye 17-Apr-2009 18:03

Ching Shen?
I thought it was a budget series...

skidlids 17-Apr-2009 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouty
wheres the option for Koncorde?

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

with your joking and Antony's swearing (same as mutley748's text to me earlier, best I don't reply in the same way here)
It almost makes CBs suggestion sensible
But I thought Englebert was a singer of sorts and I don't mean a sewing machine, maybe he made tyres in his spare time:)

Robinashman 18-Apr-2009 01:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

with your joking and Antony's swearing (same as mutley748's text to me earlier, best I don't reply in the same way here)
It almost makes CBs suggestion sensible
But I thought Englebert was a singer of sorts and I don't mean a sewing machine, maybe he made tyres in his spare time:)

Voted Pirelli butt would prefer Zr's

faith-healer 18-Apr-2009 10:35

I don't think that a discussion on individual choices serves any point at this time, especially as most people will have had little or no track experience of more than two, or possibly three, different makes/compounds. (Skids excluded :D )

As Chris Bushell has stated the rules for 2009 are "cast in stone"....

....we've got what we've got....live with it.

but....there are alternatives available now that were not available when the original decision to go with Pirelli's was made.

I'm not suggesting one make or another but the fact that 'tyre threads' are continually re-appearing should indicate that there is more than a degree of general dissatisfaction with the current 'arrangements'

The alternatives should be explored sooner rather than later to avoid the confused situation, that's arisen this year, happening again next season

Click http://www.michelinpowerone.com/site...e/indexen.html for details of the new Michelin Power One range, just one of the possible alternatives.