Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   999s fettling......... (/showthread.php?t=5072)

uncledunnie 30-Jan-2004 13:36

999s fettling.........

Some info that any one planning to tweak their 999 might find interesting.

Last autumn I fitted the full 57mm Termi system with DP ECU and filters to my S.

The bike was run for the rest of the year without any further adjustment.

I put it on a dyno in September just to see what was going on and the results were promising, although fueling mid range wasn't brilliant it was usable. (see earlier posts for graph)

I resisted fitting a PC3 at that time in anticipation of any early release of the FIM ECU and because I was loathed to add something to the bike just to fix something that wasn't working properly, i.e. the DP ECU.

With 3k on the clock it was time for a service anyway and after discussions with Neil Spalding at Sigma decided we would go for a Monty plus a few extra's. The brief was to end up with a user friendly bike biased for track days but not a full race tune.

The motor was stripped, checked and reassembled with precision. Heads were ported to match the 57's and volumes matched - something I understand that twins react well to. Cams and rockers were superteched.

Following a run on the dyno it was clear that the adjustment available with the DP ECU just wasn't up to the job fueling the new motor correctly and be-grudgingly a PC3 was fitted. (A Corse ECU is available, but at nearly £1k I felt that it was going too far)

The PC3 did its job and the bike is now spot on.

Here's the good bit......

Remember this is a standard 999S motor, no motor tuning parts have been used, valves and cams are stock and its running standard factory cam timing.

Nearly 70 ft/lb torque @ 4k rising to over 80 ft/lb @ 8k and staying there to the limiter!

Almost linear power curve 100bhp @ 7k, 125bhp @ 8k, 135bhp @ 9k rising to 145bhp @ 9.5k all the way to the limiter!

(obviously the dyno figures are not absolute since different dyno's will determine slightly different outputs, but if I were to take it back to the shop who ran it up last September I would be seeing 150bhp + at the rear wheel)

I'll post up the graphs when I get a mo, but what the numbers don't tell you is what a clean, crisp and responsive motor Neil and co. have built.

I cannot praise the team at Sigma enough, simply outstanding.

Totto 30-Jan-2004 14:26

Sounds dam good to me !

Dare we ask how much ??

dickieducati 30-Jan-2004 16:09

yes my question too i know the full monty is 700 ish plus bits looking at 1k i guess.

mines still being sorted by ducati uk to get the power in a decent ballpark (valve spring was broken, resulting in only 120 at the rear) when thats done it will probably be off to neil too.

KeefyB 30-Jan-2004 23:42

Quote:

Originally posted by dickieducati
yes my question too i know the full monty is 700 ish plus bits looking at 1k i guess.

Hmm,plus 2795 for the 57mm system!:o

Real McCoy 31-Jan-2004 09:56

hhmmmmmmmm.......If you were gonna spend all that dosh then why not just buy the 999r :o

nathanhu 31-Jan-2004 10:55

because you still need to spend money getting an 999r to run as the factory entended.
with the "standard race pie and CPU supplied there is a massive flatspot"
ive been waiting for over 4 months to get my Cpu reprogramed be ducati

stephens 02-Feb-2004 07:31

The Corse ECU removes the sidestand interlock and increases the rev limit to 11900. I understand John Hackett can organise the increased rev limit on your current ECU for a much lesser amount.

uncledunnie 02-Feb-2004 10:56

Torque plot.................

uncledunnie 02-Feb-2004 10:56

bhp plot...............

uncledunnie 02-Feb-2004 11:15

Costings.............

not as bad as you might think......

Full 57 ti system, filters and ecu £1500 (negociated with the dealer when I bought the bike)

Full monty £945 plus £240 parts. remember that this includes the equivalent of a 6k service and the blueprinting which only needs to be done once during the life of the engine. It also includes suspension work.

Superteching, my choice for peace of mind £125.

Head work, worth doing to get the most from the 57's, £500.

PC3 including set up, dyno time, etc £360. Again, not my first choice from a set up point of view since it maps both cylinders indentically.

So by the time you take the cost of a Ducati main service out of the equation it does'nt really cost that much to get your bike set up properly.

Even if you were'nt planning on developing your motor I would most certainly recommend a monty to replace one of your major services.

A couple of other snippets of info. You can have the bike set up with different cam timing if you wish which will modify the power curve, I chose not to. And, the cams, belts and rockers were all in very good condition after 3k