Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Fitting rearsets - threadlock required? (/showthread.php?t=20594)

Twinfan 09-Aug-2005 10:51

Fitting rearsets - threadlock required?

As the title says really. I'm getting my bike back tomorrow :D and I've got some rearsets to fit. I think I need some threadlock on the bolts? If so, what type?

Does anyone know the torque settings I need to use?

Cheers!

nelly 09-Aug-2005 12:19

Never does any harm. General purpose Loctite from Halfords will do fine.
Torque wise, normal torque figures for bolts are 6mm thread 10Nm, 8mm are 19Nm.
From experience, if you're fitting Gilles, do every bolt with thread lock, including the preassembled ones. They seem to fall out on their own after a few miles :puzzled:

Twinfan 09-Aug-2005 12:38

Cheers Nelly - much appreciated. They aren't Gilles ones, but I'll follow your advice anyway!

I'll do them and the pressure plate/clutch cover tomorrow night :D

Rob B 09-Aug-2005 12:45

TF,

I try to use an assembly locite. More of an anti vibration cure than a 100% hard fit. The benifit of the assembly version is that it's shiftable if you need 'em off. The hard fit version need a good heating to soften off. World of pain at times.

Rgds, Rob

Twinfan 09-Aug-2005 13:27

Cheers - I wasn't going to go for the permanent version. I think they're colour coded according to strength? I'll get the non-permanent version from Halfords.

duck 09-Aug-2005 15:07

green is high strength anti vibration and blue is medium strength

Mr_S 09-Aug-2005 16:57

Loctite 243

I did use 222, but had to keep re doing them, so stepped up to the stronger stuff.

Make sure you clean the threads first, otherwise it just bonds to the cr@p in the thread instead.

electricsheep 09-Aug-2005 17:06

the original bolts are the soft cheese version, i rounded the *******s getting them out in the first place, so if you are going to loctite them you may want to invest in some better bolts, i got mine from nelly :)

Twinfan 09-Aug-2005 17:07

Cheers - I'll see how I get on...