Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Trackdays & Race Schools (/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Shift light question (/showthread.php?t=26867)

yeti 08-Feb-2006 18:29

Shift light question

Given that a certain bike has it's rev limiter cut in at 10,500rpm, where would you set the shift light to come on given that it's a single light, not incrimental?

dickieducati 08-Feb-2006 18:39

spot on peak power

Felix 08-Feb-2006 18:39

If we talking about the RS, then it all depends how big your budget is for engine maintenance. Certainly, 10,500 will be very conservative. But, there is a lot of power beyond that. My hunch is that once you'll be left behind on the straight by the thou's, you'll stop having any regard to maintenance budgets and will want to move the rev limit around 12,000. Again, depending on the software, that 1,500 makes a HUGE difference.

To answer you exact question, I'd set the shift light 200 RPM below the rev limiter. I am surprised yours even has a rev limiter.

nelly 08-Feb-2006 18:42

500rpm after the limiter...........................

so it doesn't distract you :lol:

yeti 08-Feb-2006 18:42

Quote:

Originally posted by Felix
If we talking about the RS, then it all depends how big your budget is for engine maintenance. Certainly, 10,500 will be very conservative. But, there is a lot of power beyond that. My hunch is that once you'll be left behind on the straight by the thou's, you'll stop having any regard to maintenance budgets and will want to move the rev limit around 12,000. Again, depending on the software, that 1,500 makes a HUGE difference.

To answer you exact question, I'd set the shift light 200 RPM below the rev limiter. I am surprised yours even has a rev limiter.

Yeah, me too. I've set the light at 10,200 for the time being. but even on the cold run-out at Donny last year it was still pulling very hard when the limiter kicked in. Would like to move that up to around 11500. I assume I need a man with a laptop to do that through the ECU?

yeti 08-Feb-2006 18:43

Quote:

Originally posted by nelly
500rpm after the limiter...........................

so it doesn't distract you :lol:

Why didn't I think of that? What a great idea.:sing:

Felix 08-Feb-2006 18:43

Does your engine have a serial number?

yeti 08-Feb-2006 18:47

Quote:

No, they are brand new cases

yeti 08-Feb-2006 18:49

Quote:

To be honest, I really have no idea what's inside the engine other than what I've been told. Looking down the inlet's it looks like the heads have been ported and flowed, but really other than that it's anybody's guess. I'm going to get it on a dyno after Cadwell and see just what it says.

Just got to make sure it's not JHP's lying barsteward dyno!!! :lol:

andyb 09-Feb-2006 22:35

What BHP do you guess/think it should will/ be?