Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   side stand starting (/showthread.php?t=84101)

custard749 19-Mar-2011 22:32

side stand starting

Can anybody help?
I have a 749s on a 56 plate, it has always started on the side stand, and without the clutch being depressed. Went to start the bike today and there was nothing on the button.
I then tried to start it with the side stand up, nothing, so put it back on the stand. I then tried with the clutch pulled in, nothing.
But when I tried stand up and clutch in the bike started. Why is this, anybody had the same, this seams very strange as the bike used to start with the stand down and with no clutch:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

KeefyB 20-Mar-2011 09:37

Most likely one of the safety circuit switches.
Check the side stand switch,clutch switch and neutral light.My Multistrada once failed to start due to a manky connection on the neutral switch.It was corroded with winter salt and road shite.

custard749 20-Mar-2011 18:04

Hi KeefyB
I have had a look today and something I noticed is that the neutral light wasnt on, where is the neutral switch connection???

Thanks

skidlids 20-Mar-2011 22:17

Seems like you beat me to it as the symptons sound as though it thinks its in gear.
The neutral switch is on the back of the crankcases, upper right as you look at the back of the engine. Its a single wire one that is earthed when the shift drum is in the neutral position.