Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   smoke from dash panel - ST3 (/showthread.php?t=378870)

ciaran76 01-Feb-2015 21:16

smoke from dash panel - ST3

Hello All,

Just got myself a 2005 ST3 and on my first run noticed some smoke and a burning rubber smell coming from the dash panel !!! the bike had been laid up for a while at the dealership but starts and runs fine .

it only happened after about riding the bike for 10 mins and only when I am stopped ..I removed the dash panel and fiddled around a bit but all the connectors and wiring looked fine !

any suggestions on what it could be, thanks

Ciaran

Iconic944ss 01-Feb-2015 23:34

Not a very common problem - sorry.

Here is all I could find:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport...ight-st4s.html

mc31@york.ac.uk 02-Feb-2015 11:26

I can't even think what rubber there would be down in the dash...
But here's a thought - as the bike had been laid up for a while, is there any chance that one (or more) of your front brake pads is not releasing properly. That would get very hot very quickly, and any smoke might just get chanelled up through the dash. Not sure about it smelling like rubber though - unless it's the piston seal itself burning.

Try riding with all the nose plastics off and if it does it again, pull over and see what's getting hot.

Or if you've just got it from a dealer, you should have a few months warranty on it. Ride it back there and give them it to sort out.

antonye 02-Feb-2015 16:01

As above about the disks - get the front wheel up (main stand) and rotate it by hand to feel if the brakes are binding.