Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Classic (/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   DS1000 battery not charging (/showthread.php?t=123363)

Steve E 30-Jun-2012 18:01

DS1000 battery not charging

Hi All,

Just got back home by AA Relay. My Sport 1000 died for the second time this week on a country lane. It has a new battery but its not charging so I guess a new or re-conditioned alternator is in order. Anyone have any ideas on the possible work involved and cost? Is there anything else apart from the alternator that could have failed? I'm not sure weather to go to the nearest Ducati dealer or have a go myself.

BTW the engine is the DS1000 as used on the Monster etc. Its a 2006 model.

Any feedback or advice most appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

chrisw 30-Jun-2012 18:32

This article tells you how to test the reg/rec and the stator to diagnose which has failed (It's from a Triumph site but is still applicable)

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35227

skidlids 30-Jun-2012 19:08

First step, check the charging Fuse
If its not that then Check the Alternator connector , the 3-way connector that joins the 3 yellow wires coming from the alternator casing to the 3 yellow wires coming from the Regulator/rectifier, this is also the connector you pull apart to check the AC volts coming from the alternator when the engine is running

Steve E 30-Jun-2012 23:11

Chris, Skidlids,

thanks very much, I will have a look tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I will let you know how I get on.

Steve

antonye 01-Jul-2012 20:05

Yep, most likely the reg/rec and very easy to swap out if you want a hand!

chrisw 01-Jul-2012 21:18

Might be time for an upgrade.

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...mod&highlight=

Steve E 02-Jul-2012 17:12

Thanks Antony, Thanks Chris,

The R/R is tucked under the seat on the Sport 1000 + I've got a scottoiler in there too. The upgrade looks like a very good idea if I can find space. I noticed on the Triumph 675 website that they recommend upgrading to the higher quality Delphi connector which seems to be standard on the Ducati :)