Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Carbon bellypan (/showthread.php?t=4568)

dukess1999 27-Nov-2003 12:20

Carbon bellypan

I'm looking at a carbon belly pan on e-bay at the moment for my 748. Am I right in thinking that 'd need new sidepanels to fit the one-piece belly pan?

ben998 27-Nov-2003 12:36

Yes, I believe so, or cut your existing ones

Rattler 27-Nov-2003 12:40

Probably!!!

Although there are a few belly pans out there, they all basically fit the same way, but there are a few things that you'll need to consider.

You will need to mod the bottoms of your panels to fit this, or get some other panels.

But all bellypans are not the same, it depends if its OE from a 996R / 998S etc, but its more likely to be a aftermarket one.

Although some bellypans are actually mounted on the bike, most just hang off of the bottom of the side panels. The mounted ones can be a real pain to fit as you have to have the right brackets etc.

All of the belly pans I've had have always just been mounted to the bottom of the side panels, through the use of some DZUS fasteners etc...

Also, make sure that the belly pan will allow you to use a sidestand etc...

Tim:frog:

neil748r 27-Nov-2003 12:41

Not necessarily, but you would have to chop your standard side panels. How much you have to chop out depends on which bellypan it is. The earlier type require you to cut away most of the bit that turns under the bike (where the two halves fasten together) but leave enough to retain the front fastener. Later type (which look better IMO) require you to chop off the whole of the return section.

Best bet is to go for some decent aftermarket sides. Vimori (01422 242222) do some really good quality ones (916 style or 998 style) and they come pre-coloured red or yellow as required. About £65 a side. Colour match is really really good! You also have the choice of having OEM style side stand provision.

Another point, before you order new sides, find out if the bellypan is for a 748/916/996 or for a 998. They are a different shape and will only fit with the sides from the same model.

I've been through this myself so if you need any other info just drop me a line.

Hope this helps,

Neil

P.S. If this is the one your looking at (e-Bay item number: 2444614228) then it looks like an early type 916 style, although I can't be certain as it's not a very good pic. The problem you will have with that is that you will need to source aftermarket original style side panels as the bellypan will require a portion of the return section of the side panels to allow it to fit correctly.

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by neil748r]