Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Trackdays & Race Schools (/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Wets - pressures..... (/showthread.php?t=78780)

Chef 12-Mar-2009 15:35

Wets - pressures.....

Hi

Having just bought a set of wets I realise I have no idea what pressures they should be run at.....! - anyone know...

Pirelli Rain 180 rear

Thanks

Scooter916 12-Mar-2009 16:07

Set temperature to 75 degrees C for 1 hour, then set pressures to

Rain Tyres - 2.3bar (33psi) front and 2.1bar (30psi) rear

That is what I was told to use a few years ago now mind bit there were on Pirelli wets new type not the block pattern ones.
Glyn

twpd 12-Mar-2009 17:11

Don't use warmers with wets. It overheats them.
Run 34-36psi cold. Higher pressures are better as it keeps the tread separated.

Scooter916 12-Mar-2009 17:58

Nige that is contrary to What pirelli say about their tyres.
Not doubting your way though
glyn

Chef 12-Mar-2009 20:52

Thanks guys

Glyn - so what do pirelli say......

Wets shouldn't be heated to over 50c..........I was told

confused - you will be............;-)

twpd 12-Mar-2009 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter916
Nige that is contrary to What pirelli say about their tyres.
Not doubting your way though
glyn

But not contrary to Metzeler or Dunlop. As a matter of interest I was struggling with my wets a bit last year at Pembrey...I couldn't get the bike to turn. Alan Russell of A&R Racing came to me, put more air in my tyres and turned my warmers off. I went back out in the ****ing rain...got my knee down, turned the bike without trouble and delivered my best wet race result ever. On Pirellis. :lol:

Believe me...warmers are bad news on wets. If you don't have enough air in the tyres and they are too warm them the tread will fold and squirm, the tyre will deform and you will find it hard to turn the bike because the tyre is not maintaining shape. The difference that I felt was a revelation.

arthurbikemad 12-Mar-2009 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by twpd
Don't use warmers with wets. It overheats them.
Run 34-36psi cold. Higher pressures are better as it keeps the tread separated.

Bang on!!

Scooter916 12-Mar-2009 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef
Thanks guys

Glyn - so what do pirelli say......

Wets shouldn't be heated to over 50c..........I was told

confused - you will be............;-)

LOL I was told by pirelli Exactly what I posted.. But then again if you read the other thread regarding rosso tyres pirelli are not exactly correct with their statements. Saying that tho I ran my 998 Race bike with the above details at caddy in the wet and had no problems lifting the front whilst still cranked over exiting mansfield, Scared me..... YES it did
If it worked for you nige then great, I know a lot of guys run em from cold and let the tyres come to you, Rather than using warmers and having loads of grip on the first 2 corners then binning it on the third because they have gone cold.
Horses for courses.
Glyn

arthurbikemad 12-Mar-2009 23:20

9 times out of 10 warmers in the wet are pointless, by the time they are off and you have got to the track the tyres are cold anyway..well so im told by most riders..

Scooter916 13-Mar-2009 00:15

Yup they are so pointless The Gp and wsb boys use em.......BSB use them and they are on pirelli rubber too,
But as I said earlier Horses for courses.
This is the info I had from Pirelli, Who as it goes Own Metzeler..

These are a starting point - you may prefer slightly higher or even slightly lower pressure depending on track temperature, riding style, suspension settings etc.

Tyre warmers - if you are going to use them, buy a good quality warmer with thermostatic control.
We recommend you use warmers for rain tyres as well as "drys".

Set temperature to 75 degrees C for 1 hour, then set pressures to:

Racetec's - 2.2bar (32psi) front and 2bar (29psi) rear
Rain Tyres - 2.3bar (33psi) front and 2.1bar (30psi) rear (I would recommend K1 compound front and rear for Rain tyres) - Only use rain tyres when there is standing water on the circuit. A drying line will destroy the tyres very quickly.

Tyre warmers aren't critical for either tyre, but you will get better performance throughout the life of the tyre if you do use them.

Regards,

Jim Worland
Product Manager
Metzeler Moto UK