Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   What Spark plugs for a 998 Testastretta (/showthread.php?t=22022)

skidlids 20-Sep-2005 10:52

What Spark plugs for a 998 Testastretta

Can anyone recomend the best spark plug to use on the 998 Testastretta engine.
I am currently using the standard champions, a while a go I purchased some NGK iridium plugs but they do not engage on the plug spanner to well and I can see problems in the future with removing the horizontal cylinder plug if I fit them.

This morning I could not get the bike to start and ended up flatening the battery. I rode the bike back from work yesterday evening, so its not as if its been stood for a while.
I feel a new set of plugs will help and was wondering what other owners are using

Kev

nelly 21-Sep-2005 00:14

Skids, the NGK's as you have found, don't fit. The hex is too low down the plug and prevents it being tightened.
I use OE champions from ducati. Haven't had a chanve to try denso's to see if they work, but as of now, there's only the champions i can tell you fit ok.

skidlids 21-Sep-2005 00:31

Cheers Nelly, I was hoping somebody would come along with a Denso part number along with saying how good they are.
I am not impressed by Champion plugs and would like to use NGKs but not at the cost of having one seize in the front cylinder.

Now where's that NGK email address so that I can enquire about plugs to suit Testastretta engines.

nelly 21-Sep-2005 00:36

I can dig the denso one out for you.
The plugs listed by NGK simply won't fit. technically they are specified correctly. It's down to the casting/machining around the spark plug hole that prevents them being used.
I'm not a fan of champion either. I use NGK's across all the services I do, but I bought a box of NGK's only to find they are no good.
Do you a good deal on them if ya like :lol:

skidlids 21-Sep-2005 00:43

cheers for the offer Nelly but I all ready have a couple of new NGKs but I wasn't happy with the way they fitted.

Do you have any good deals on 955 Corse light weight flywheels as I know a man who is after one. Seen them on the www.ducati-spares.com website and on the odd American website.

nelly 21-Sep-2005 00:50

which flywheel is it Kev? P8, 2 wire or 3 wire...... or the pukka Corse items with lower output alternator???

Ray 21-Sep-2005 11:47

I'm reasonably sure that my 998 has NGK's in it and I have a couple of old ones that were removed. I'll have a look at the number on 'em. maybe, just maybe theres an alternative.

It must be said that I didn't remove or fit 'em myself though!!

Ray

skidlids 21-Sep-2005 12:13

Quote:

Originally posted by nelly
which flywheel is it Kev? P8, 2 wire or 3 wire...... or the pukka Corse items with lower output alternator???

Its the Pukka Corse kit, the alternator is only about 1/3 the size of the one on the 916 strada, both use the two wire single phase setup.
The Strada flywheel fits but is a bit on the heavy side, the Corse job is steel and has NO facility for the starting gear/sprag clutch parts, but probably weighs about the same as a alloy flywheel with starting gear fitted.
This weight probably helps to keep the engine turning over with the stored momentum. I suspect if it was to light the tuned 955 motor would be prone to stalling at low revs.
So I see the ideal solution for the Corse engine is to fit a Alloy flywheel with the starter gear in place but keep the race spec alternator as the bike is to be used for racing in next seasons Sound of Thunder championship mainly with North Glos club but probably the odd outing with New Era.

Kev

skidlids 21-Sep-2005 12:29

Looks like its the one

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/detail.aspx?ID=916

nelly 21-Sep-2005 14:52

That looks like a "SPS" type Kev, with a the P8 computer?? You sure the strada unit fits OK? Just that the P8 runs two pickups and the strada one.
I may be able to get one of whichever?? not sure on the prices tho. If you can confirm the type, i can do some diggin' ;)

The Denso plug, from the catalogue, is the IU27 5363
NGK are only listing one plug, the one i've tried that doesn't fit :(