Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Idle Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Bmw M5 (/showthread.php?t=40151)

beancounter 01-Jan-2007 10:26

Bmw M5

Does anyone have current or previous experience of owning/running the 5.0 litre V8 model M5 (not the current V10, the previous model).

Running costs, horror stories etc.

Thanks

BC

FiscusFish 01-Jan-2007 10:51

There's one listed on Peach or Lemon http://www.peachorlemon.co.uk/

Bloke appears to like it....

Darren

Simon Reed 01-Jan-2007 11:01

yeah,they eat vanos units,like m3's,clutches,& g/boxes are a bit week as well,buy a 540 sport,they're available as auto's,m5 isn't !!

misterpink 01-Jan-2007 11:11

dunno about running one but have been to le mans a couple of times and around spa on track day in one - absoluuutely amazing!!!! my guess is they are "enthusiasts" cars - which has pro's and con's

Nattyboy 01-Jan-2007 11:42

Drop Simon Parrott (marchesini) a line - he runs one.

Nat

MaccLad 01-Jan-2007 17:47

Take a look at www.bm5w.co.uk. There is a complete section on the E39 M5. I'm sure you won't regret it!

NormanBurrows 02-Jan-2007 09:00

M5 experience

1 Attachment(s)
Hi There,

I ran an E39 M5 from new in August 1999 until October 2005 covering about 60,000 miles. I am pretty good at coaxing good fuel figures and got 18mpg around town, 25-28mpg on a careful run.
Servicing was coming up around every 12-14K with costs averaging around £300 for an Oil Service, £500 for an inspection. Do not risk using a back street garage unless you know their integrity is 110%.
From new these cars suffered from "assembly" faults like most of the other BMs I've had: whining diff, whining gearbox, very stiff selector. All done under warranty and no reoccurences. Things to check:
Must have FDSH - if you have to have (say) a cylinder head, it's £5K. A short motor £25K. Walk away if any oil leaks or traces on motor. Get the owner to state the oil consumption, some of these cars drank a pint in 200 miles. Mine did 1500 miles per pint. All the gadgets must work or repair costs will be high. I sold mine when the annual warranty extension got to £1K per year at 6 years old.
On the plus side, out of 3 M5s I had, the E39 was the best. Ace motor, good handling, and a cruiser when you want it to be. Well looked after Ms do incredible mileages without trouble. And it looks like a 520 to the unknowing!
Hope this helps. If you've any further questions please ask.

Cheers,

Norm.

beancounter 02-Jan-2007 10:36

Thanks Norman - very helpful.

Unfortunately I'd be looking to buy at the point at which you sold - i.e. around 5 years old / 50k miles. I wouldn't buy without full BMW service history. Have you heard of anyone having major engine problems even after proper BMW servicing?

Thanks

BC

NormanBurrows 02-Jan-2007 14:37

Bmw M5

Hi,

I still have close contact with the main agents in Blackpool (Derek Woodman - ex motorcycle champion) so I've just left a message on their chief techncian's voice mail to call me back. When he does I'll ask him what horrors he's had in the workshop and then pass them on to you.

This guy came 2nd in the World in BMWs quality competition for techies (a German won - no fix then). He blue-printed my first E34 3.6L M5 in 1990. Motorsport built it with the wrong grade pistons and an incorrectly machined timing cover. Hmmm. I asked him to rebuild it to tightest tolerances which proved to be a mistake, but quite funny. Smoke poured off the engine when they started it as the heat was unbelievable. Any more than 50mph and she started to boil the oil. Took me over 10,000 miles to free her off. But then, she turned in 5mpg better than new and hit the 155 speed limiter with a vengence. Not bad for 315bhp.

Cheers,

Norman B.

beancounter 02-Jan-2007 14:40

Thanks Norman.

It's very kind of you to go to so much trouble. Thank you very much.

BC