Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Valve clearances too tight to measure (/showthread.php?t=310686)

Fudoshin 11-May-2014 21:07

Valve clearances too tight to measure

I started adjusting the clearances on my 2000 748 but somehow screwed something up (not using the the shim measuring tools- which I now have!) which meant the was no clearance after adjustment to measure. I thought I'd start all over again and put the old shims back in but they're still too tight to get a feeler gauge in. I was very particular about which shim went were and which half rings belonged to which valve.
Any suggestions on how rectify/get to a point where I can take some measurements? What would you do if you where rebuilding a head?
I'm really enjoying the mini restoration of this bike and don't want to take it to a dealer.

It's only the horizontal head that needs sorting and if I have to take the head off then so be it but would obviously rather not..

Thanks in advance for your time..

skidlids 11-May-2014 21:09

Work out which is your smallest opening and closing shims and try those two in all positions and see if you can then measure some clearances and work out what shims will be needed where

Fudoshin 11-May-2014 21:23

Thanks, I'll give that a go..

dunlop0_1 12-May-2014 05:16

As Kev said. Also are you sure the closer shims are seating correctly. Once they have been out even with the original half rings they can sometimes need quite a bit of persuasion to seat correctly.

Also do not try and make a measurement/adjustment for both opener and closer at the same time. Do the closer and then the opener.

:)

Fudoshin 12-May-2014 12:16

Hi, was careful with the closers but will check again but didn't think to do the two measurements/adjustments separately... Top tip - thanks guys, going to get on it on Wednesday and will let you know- cheers again. JP

Fudoshin 05-Aug-2014 21:29

hi guys,
its been an age but wanted to say that I got the shims sorted and thanks to your advice it became pretty straight forward.
Much appreciated!