Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Vertical Play In Swing Arm Linkages (/showthread.php?t=85315)

Stormchaser 29-Dec-2011 16:31

Vertical Play In Swing Arm Linkages

Hi, I've just bought a beautiful ST4 which has been lovingly maintained with lots of dealer history. One thing worries me though, if I lift the rear wheel while the bike is on it's centrestand there is a couple of mil of play vertically somewhere in the swingarm or suspension linkages.
I've heard that early ST's suffered from issues with the swingarm pivot which wore unevenly and is not a simple fix, but i'm hoping it's not that since there is no sideways play.
Any ideas?

skidlids 29-Dec-2011 16:36

When I build bikes the rear suspension is normally like that until I tighen all the bolts up

So I suggest checking all bolts are tight, as they may have been removed to copper-slip them
Other thing to look at is the Rod end bearings in each end of the ride height adjusting bar, they could be worn and have excessive play

rockhopper 19-Jan-2012 16:00

A new shock cured the same problem on my ST4, the bushes wear and they are not replaceable.

ratchet 21-Jan-2012 10:38

Check the pivot bolt behind the frame bungs, mine has loosened several times, and that's the first sign it's slack

nelly 21-Jan-2012 11:55

Another favourite is the rear engine mount loosens up. The play comes fromt the engine rocking in the frame........

Bornagain 03-Jun-2012 11:59

Had the same problem. There are two small bushes in the top of the link shaped like top hats, on mine these were worn. Two new bushes and all sorted.