Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   "chipped" clutch basket (/showthread.php?t=5283)

JB748 14-Feb-2004 16:47

\"chipped\" clutch basket

Just started the spring strip-down on my 748 to get it ready for the good weather

have taken the clutch cover off as i am fitting some new clutch plates, and what i have found is that my clutch basket has some great big chunks missing from the outer edge.

the bits missing look like they have fractured off, not been scraped - i know the bike has not been along the road on that side ?

bits fractured off look to be around 1.5mm deep x 15mm long

cannnot find the remains anywhere in the clutch basket - very strange

any idea's guys (or gals !)

thanks TB:o

rockhopper 14-Feb-2004 16:58

Any chance of a pic?

JB748 15-Feb-2004 15:26

have not got a digi camera, sorry

as you look at the clutch basket from face-on, where the basket "fingers" stick out the chips are on the ends of the fingers.

another question - on taking the clutch plates out, on all the metal driven plates is a small notch - are these meant to align with a certain point, as on mine they were all over the place ?

also whats best for these to re-finish the surface- rough up with emery, or polish to a smooth finish ?

TIA - JB

rockhopper 15-Feb-2004 16:31

When the clutch is brand new the tangs on the friction plates and the matching surface of the basket should be flat. Over time the friction plates batter the basket and form the notches you have seen. When they get really bad the plates can catch on them as you let the clutch out.

Ah, just re read your post and your talking about the half moon shapes in the driven plates!! Dunno if these should line up. It would seem obvious that they should but i have never bothered!!

I wouldnt attempt to re finish the surface, they should be very smooth from the friction plates - if you rough them up it will just eat the friction plates more quickly.

I have no idea what the damage on the ends of the fingers could be.

JB748 15-Feb-2004 18:44

paul - your right about the little "half-moon" cut outs - strange that there does not seem to be a reason for these to line up.

i will just polish up the drive plates, but will de-glaze the clutch plates themselves by a quick rough-up with wet n dry

thanks for the helpfull comments

JB748

TopiToo 16-Feb-2004 11:42

Hello.

JB748 I saw this site posted some time back.maybe of some help.

http://www.sportbikes.com/wwwthreads...fpart=all&vc=1

regards

TopiToo

JB748 16-Feb-2004 12:53

cheers Topi - i bookmarked that site before and have printed it out.

here's another question - i am replacing the pressure plate, and when taking the old unit out the pushrod came out attached. Whats the best way to remove the rod, and attach the new plate - should i get it pressed out, or a quick tap with a soft hammer ?

JB:roll:

Shazaam! 16-Feb-2004 13:40

Spring Plate Identification

The half-moon cutout on the outside diameter of the drive plates is an indicator that tells you which tooth on the inner diameter of the plate to look at to identify the spring plate. Some model’s plate stacks have more than one spring plate.

The spring plate has an identifying punch mark on the inner tooth opposite the outer notch. It helps the clutch to engage smoothly by cushioning clutch frictional forces and needs to be placed in the proper stacking position (convex side facing toward you). The remaining plates with no punch mark are flat. The notches have no other function and do not need to be arranged in any particular way.

Pressure Plate Alignment

Easily overlooked but also important is that the raised-arrow indicator on the pressure plate be aligned with the one spring bolt boss on the clutch hub that has a notch/slot in it, in order to assure proper pressure plate alignment with the hub.

_

[Edited on 2-16-2004 by Shazaam!]

rockhopper 16-Feb-2004 13:50

Well blow me down, i never knew that! I've also changed five clutches on various Ducatis and never realised there was a spring plate (dished plate as youi may know it!!). Must have just been lucky!

I often find that the push rod comes out with the pressure plate. Give the outer end of the bearing a tap with a punch or something similar and that will get it free. You might even be able to hold it in your hand firmly enough to pull it off. Just watch you dont damage the two rubber O rings while you pulling it out. I dont think that its intended to be such a firm fit in the bearing.

Jon 16-Feb-2004 20:52

Shazzam, you sure you are right when saying that the little cut out in the pressure plates do not need to be aligned?????????????

John Hackett himself taught me how to install a clutch pack correctly and he said that the cut out should be set so that you start with one at about 12.00 oclock, the next at 6.00 oclock, followed by 3.00 oclock, 9.00 oclock and so on until all theplates are used..This will help balance up the pressure plates and reduce vibration.