Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   2005 Ecu Vin information. (/showthread.php?t=84147)

MadMostin 28-Mar-2011 09:26

2005 Ecu Vin information.

Hi,

does anybody know if the vin data is stored on the bikes ecu? Bought a track bike and there is no frame number, i wanna check history.

Any info appreciated.

KeefyB 28-Mar-2011 10:40

There is nothing on the ECU regarding the bikes identity.The ecu could be fitted to any bike,....as long as it has'nt been coded to another bike.

ChrisBushell 28-Mar-2011 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMostin
Hi,

does anybody know if the vin data is stored on the bikes ecu? Bought a track bike and there is no frame number, i wanna check history.

Any info appreciated.

After what happened recently at Brands Hatch - you need to be very carefull with thius new purchase. The Police tiurned up to a trackday and went through every bike, any that didn't have frame or engine numbers or those that had been messed with were impounded and taken away!

Bionicle 28-Mar-2011 11:53

Not all frames have a frame number, as long as there is no marks showing a frame number has been removed or otherwise tamperd with you should be ok, best bet would be to have a word with the local police station get them to look at it for you.

MadMostin 28-Mar-2011 22:31

Called Ducati uk and they confirmed there is no vin stored on the ecu. They did tell me that the number is stamped on the frame and not just a sticker.

My concern is from that article.

Reply of owner was its a track bike?

Still, he has the last 3 owners details including the one from new and a folder of receipts for dealer servicing, valves, belts ect.

My point was does Mr stolen vehicle squad plod give 2 hoots who owned it before but if there are no numbers evident its gotta be nicked?

bradders 28-Mar-2011 23:29

key point is; no frame number or removed/altered frame number. First one should be ok, 2nd will see it throw in the clink!

ChrisBushell 29-Mar-2011 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
key point is; no frame number or removed/altered frame number. First one should be ok, 2nd will see it throw in the clink!

Best advice is to get a frame number stamped on to it and that you do that through your local Ducati dealer. There should be a receipt for the purchase of the new/un-stamped frame in the documents you got with the bike? That way you can clearly show a trail that it is not stolen, etc.

RickyX 29-Mar-2011 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Best advice is to get a frame number stamped on to it and that you do that through your local Ducati dealer. There should be a receipt for the purchase of the new/un-stamped frame in the documents you got with the bike? That way you can clearly show a trail that it is not stolen, etc.

Chris - do you have any advice for people who have a bike they know has been stolen???
LOL!!

KeefyB 30-Mar-2011 08:51

Mebbe the bike has had a new frame at some stage of its life?I thought that new frames were not numbered?:confused: