Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Multistrada: Enduro / Pikes Peak / V4 / V2 / 1260 / 1200 / 1100 / 1000 (/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Latest figures (/showthread.php?t=4374)

nicksp 07-Nov-2003 00:13

Latest figures

This may be of interest - in the latest Ducati figures released yesterday it was noted that 4762 Multistradas have been sold worldwide this year so far up to Sept 30th. Also Ducati registrations in general were down 5% in the UK. What does it all mean ?

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031105/lnw022_1.html

Nick

Jools 07-Nov-2003 11:05

What it means is:

a) In difficult economic times, especially for very expensive luxury commodoties, Ducati have had a storming third quarter.

b) The world outside the UK doesn't wear sportsbike blinkers and has recognised what a blinding real world bike the Multistrada is so it's selling like hot cakes.

c) Ducati are reacting to market pressures which say if you stick to making sportsbikes alone, you're going to go down the pan. They've known this for sometime I'm sure because it's Monsters that've kept the company solvent enough to go racing and develop sportsbikes.

d) The sportsbike goggles that the UK market seems to wear, are more than likely 916 derivative goggles hence the lower number of registrations now that they're not in full-on production.

d) Monsters are great bikes, but just like the 916 you can't update a ten year old design for ever, so now the Multistrada looks set to take over as the cash cow.

e) Thank Ducati for the Multistrada, it's not only a great bike in it's own right, but it will go a long way to fund racing developments and sportsbike spin-offs.

:rodent::"Jools, are you always so pompous and self-opinionated"

Jools: "Yep"

:rodent::"Oh well...."

[Edited on 7-11-2003 by Jools]

Ray 07-Nov-2003 15:09

Jools,

A perceptive market analysis of ducatistic accuracy.

Ray

kwikbitch 07-Nov-2003 17:45

Sorry to give a stating the obvious opinion but...
The multistrada is such a cool bike...I dislike the look of it only because its a bike before it's time...but so was the 916.. few years down the line there will be bikes looking like that in the championships and then Ill be saying along with every one else and Jo public...Oooh I have always liked that bike...What was it oh yeah "the multistrada"...:)

NBs996 07-Nov-2003 18:00

Yep, I see where you're coming from, kwik.
I'm not too impressed with the multistrada in the "looks" department, but I'm sure it'll grow on me... time will tell.

As for the 916......... well, when It came out all them years ago, it was love at first sight and set meself a goal - to actually OWN one! Now I'm the happiest geezer alive cos I've just got a 996! yeah!!!!!:roll:

Road Runner 07-Nov-2003 20:10

Yep me to NBs996 Ihave one as well !!:sing::sing:

kwikbitch 07-Nov-2003 23:16

'fraid i can only aspire do those dizzy heights...thats why I bought a Mito!
Who's to say though that when Ive "learnt" to ride my 750 my nxt purchase might be a multistrada!:cool:

belthead 08-Nov-2003 02:59

CMW lent me one for a couple of days. Looks a pig and seems to gobble gas - but its a real laugh and a great boney to ride. Could do with revised sprocket gearing and perhaps a few more ponies, but for everyday use, probably a winner - in time.

KeefyB 08-Nov-2003 06:56

Well the Multistrada is my local Duke dealers top seller for this year.In fact he has bought some more in to sell before the price rises.Just like the 999,people are moaning about the looks of the bike,well you cant see it when your riding it.Both bikes are superb to ride and are taking Ducati up another level in tems of user friendlyness and quality of equipment.
As for more umph,see my thread about airbox restrictors.
One other reason for Ducati's drop in sales is the glut of new spangly wizz bang models from other manufacturers.Some folks simply must have the latest,most powerfull,fastest,new paint,radial braked,better suspended bike.(According to MCN!;))

kwikbitch 08-Nov-2003 15:22

Crock of c**P! MCn talk for people who cant think for themselves...I wish those types would just DO A TEST DRIVE!!!! DER!