Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   rear whell "staining" (/showthread.php?t=22234)

tattymarbots 26-Sep-2005 13:31

rear whell \"staining\"

Hi
cleaning bike weekend noticed black marks all over right side of rear wheel, thought it was oil and would just wash off but it seems to have gone "into the paint"
anyone come across this before, and how to get rid of it
dont really want to start attacking wheel with t-cut
its definately oil as you can see where it has been flung outwards
will try to post a picture
cheers
steve

Wylie1 26-Sep-2005 13:36

Are you sure it's not brake fluid?

KP 26-Sep-2005 13:36

IMHO I find that a rag sprayed with WD40 and elbow grease will remove sticky chain lube, tar and most unsavoury stains. Obviously being very careful not to get it on the tyres and making sure to remove any excess thoroughly. ;)

Wylie1 26-Sep-2005 13:43

As it's on the RH side of the wheel, I'd have thought it's more likely to be brake fluid from the rear master cylinder/ brake pipe/ caliper than chain lube. That would also explain the damage to the paint finish.

Stu748R 26-Sep-2005 13:46

I hope you mean rear wheel staining,if not,i would sugest seeing your local G P..............

Hee hee.:roll:

Harv748 26-Sep-2005 14:14

As said...if it was on the sprocket side then it would be coming from your chain. This is a common sight.

However, on the other side only, then this is a little different and as suggested either the rear brake is leaking somehow, or as happened to me once, the battery is in someway leaking...with the fluid working its way back to the rear wheel and shagging the finish...however this wouldn't be black in appearance:puzzled:

HW 26-Sep-2005 14:20

Just a thought - tar from newly laid "loose chipping" surfaces is very sticky and a bitch to get off. Looks like an oil stain on the rim. I found Autoglym Intensive Tar Removal was very good at removing it - as you'd expect from it's name. :)

748IOM 26-Sep-2005 15:21

Autoglym Tar Removal will definately do the job, gets everything off that stuff.

Just be sure to wash off the residue after use.

tattymarbots 26-Sep-2005 17:51

Cheers for the answers
will check the rear brake and battery this weekend

steve

ericthered40 26-Sep-2005 18:16

petrol on a rag will shift anything oily off on a jiffy :saint: