Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Failing rockers (/showthread.php?t=2136)

Marty916 31-Jul-2003 05:11

Failing rockers

My apologies if this has been brought up before but have any of you had rocker failures in the 4 valve motors? There are a huge number of failures here in the US of the chrome contact surfaces that ride on the cams. This leads to cam lobe damage, broken valves, shrapnel in the oil, etc. Chrome flakes/strips can sometimes be found in the pre-filter. A visual inspection is the only reliable way to spot the problem and this requires the rockers to be removed, rarely done at a regular service. I haven't heard much coming from your part of the world and am curious if this problem is as prevelant over there. TIA.

TopiToo 31-Jul-2003 06:25

Hello Marty916

I had three go on my old engine, and I know it goes on over here with other engines,

But best not talk about it as I was told this is not a manufacture problem after sending off for inspection, and bascially Tuff Luck mate . . .

which was nice . .

regards

TopiToo

JPM 31-Jul-2003 12:06

Marty....

I am guessing you're the same Marty916 that posts on the Cowin-tech board...

Jon UK here....

Welcome to the board Marty....

Everyone, if this is the same Marty, he will be a great benefit to the board, very knowledgeable guy....

sps955 31-Jul-2003 13:14

This problem happens over here as well.
I know of one guy who had five rockers replaced on his 996.
Around £90 a pop this made it a very large bill for the service:o

PeteB 31-Jul-2003 13:15

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dibble 31-Jul-2003 14:09

Four rockers replaced back in April, all worn the same way ... year 2000 996BP, Ducati UK sorted the rockers on warranty, even though I was three months past the warranty end date but I still had to pay all the associated labour charges ....

Its still on my credit card to this day ....

Felix 31-Jul-2003 14:41

JPM or Jon UK...small world. Noticed your posts on the Ducati Index in the past, but stopped visiting there some time ago. It was just getting stupid.

pj748r 31-Jul-2003 14:42

had three rocker arms flake and damage camshaft.Have been waiting a grand total of 8 weeks for it to arrive.DUK have said they will not be charging for the shaft or rocker arms.It was supposed to have been sent to dealers yesterday but they have not got it yet!!Makes you wonder how they won so many WSB titles with the sort of time scales they do things in.Bet the Fila/Marlboro squads don't wait for ever for new parts

DJ Tera 31-Jul-2003 14:44

Thats only cos they keep spares :lol:

Guido 31-Jul-2003 15:02

Marty,

I had a rocker replaced under warranty at the 12k service on my 2001 748R back in April of this year. It was very minor but the dealer looks after me and replaced it anyway. It's booked in for it's final service before the warranty expires in Sept and I am getting them to check everything including rockers so that any oddities can be done under warranty.