Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle (/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   bb question... (/showthread.php?t=14766)

Lily 01-Mar-2005 18:10

bb question...

just thinking here and wondering....

would it be possible to have a second phone line/number with a second bb connection on it into one house?

would it be possible to connect up another router and config it so that wireless was seperate?

i get moaned at as he has to turn his torrent off when i work at home as it uses up all the bandwidth. But i get the impression if we got more bandwidth it would just be more downloads...

anyone done this?

TP 01-Mar-2005 18:13

I haven't done it but it is possible.

Use a different frequency for the wireless connection, different SSID and differend WEP key - Roberts your mothers brother as they say.

JPM 01-Mar-2005 18:14

Lily,

Firstly you have to think I am with blueyonder (Cable DSL) not BT (ADSL) so the 2nd phone line means diddly squat.

I guess upping the bandwidth would simply mean I have more to use :D but if you went down the ADSL route and BT enable a ADSL line to my house you could hang a wireless router on there and just use a different channel, set up access control on the router etc no problem.

Lily 01-Mar-2005 18:14

hmmm... might be worth considering then...

although having said that looks like i am going to be heading down south for work as of next week anyway :(

Lily 01-Mar-2005 18:16

hmmm forgot about that... but could do adsl anyway as an option?

TP 01-Mar-2005 18:20

Sorry as you said another line I assumed you meant that you already had ADSL.

But as Freak nobly points out ... you could still connect a BT line to the house and enable ADSL from any provider on that line. Setup your wireless and you're off.

Depends how far south you're coming but I could always tell you my WEP key ;)

:frog:

Lily 01-Mar-2005 18:27

i think i might be a bit away from your neck of the woods...

most likely to be living at heathrow... oh what joy :(

JPM 01-Mar-2005 18:29

Quote:

Originally posted by tp-996
Sorry as you said another line I assumed you meant that you already had ADSL.

But as Freak nobly points out ... you could still connect a BT line to the house and enable ADSL from any provider on that line. Setup your wireless and you're off.

Depends how far south you're coming but I could always tell you my WEP key ;)

:frog:

I don't think Netgear make a wireless router with that range!

Or are you thinking slightly underhand there sir? :smug:

TP 01-Mar-2005 18:40

Quote:

Originally posted by jpmercer
I don't think Netgear make a wireless router with that range!

Or are you thinking slightly underhand there sir? :smug:

My wireless router is a Draytek - and me, underhand? :saint:

Heathrow is actually quite close to me Lily, 10 minutes drive on a good day, 7 hours on a bad one :(

Have a look on multimap and plot a route from Heathrow to Twickenham train station, it would only be a few miles, 3 or 4.

Lily 01-Mar-2005 18:44

hmmm... that close heh.... well if you see a silver golf lurking outside then it could be me... :o

haven't been working down that way for a few years and not totally looking forward to it but work is good so can't be too fussy i guess.