Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Lightened flywheel - Pros and Cons? (/showthread.php?t=262)

Rattler 19-May-2003 23:19

Lightened flywheel - Pros and Cons?

How much advantage is there of fitting a lightened flywheel?

I assume that the engine will spin up quicker, but also give less engine braking?

As I'm getting tons of false neutrals, I am hardly getting engine braking anyway;)

So who's fitted one and would you recommend it?

Oh yeh - how much are they?:o

Ta
Tim

sps955 20-May-2003 00:53

I fitted a lightweight flywheel to my 998R.
I also fitted a slipper clutch at the same time.
It has made the engine a bit quicker to rev but the downside is that you have to rev the bike a lot more when pulling away from junctions.
You have to almost ride the bike like a two stroke.
The other point i would like to state is that you will get more engine braking not less.
The standard heavy flywheel wants to keep turning the engine,when you have the lightweight flywheel there is not a lot of weight to keep the motor turning,the engine slows down a lot quicker.
If you are going to fit a lightened flywheel i would suggest fitting a slipper clutch at the same time.
If you don't have one already.:)
I got a Bucci flywheel from John Hackett for £90.

[Edited on 19-5-2003 by sps955]

Rattler 20-May-2003 09:51

Thanks for the info, I do have a STM slipper fitted, but strangely, I only really started to get the false neutrals once I'd fitted it.

I assume that the flywheel is easy to swap?

If it feels like a 2-stroke - fantastic, it'll take me back to the old LC days!!!

Tim

andyb 20-May-2003 10:01

Do either of you guys get that initial screech sound from your clutch, when you pull away?

rcgbob44 20-May-2003 10:39

Clutch Screech!

Interesting reading the flywheel/clutch comments. My clutch screaches so badly when i try to pull away that fast get aways are impossible. I`m told this is normal on my 998s but i have been blown away by milk floats every time i pull away, very embarassing! Comments!

Whele 20-May-2003 11:48

I fitted a lightened flywheel to replace my already lighted SPS flywheel. It gave me more engine braking and definitely needs a bit more revs when moving off, I also found the engine didn't want to idle until it was fully up to temperature.

As for the screeching clutch, I have the Bicci Slipper that worked great, and then I fitted a set of carbon plates. It now sounds like a slipping fan belt every time I take off. I found I had to learn a new riding technique, let the clutch out fully before gunning it, and don't use the clutch when pulling up the front.:roll:

Rattler 20-May-2003 12:00

I\'ve never suffered a screeching clutch...

But would rather have that than false neutrals!!!

Tim

Rattler 20-May-2003 12:09

Just another thought......

I realise that you guys who have lightened flywheels woudl knwo best, and not trying to be too controversial with this one, but if the flywheel is lightened, wouldn't this create less engine resistance when using engine braking?

ie, you would need more engine revs to create the same level of engine resistance, as the engine turns over more easily with a lightnened flywheel?

Therefore engine braking at the same given revs would be less?

Wouldn't it?

I know that Dibble will be along shortly with his flux capacitor theory - so c'mon Dibbs, lets have it!!!

Tim

DJ Tera 20-May-2003 12:17

Basically with a lighter flywheel, then engine spins up quicker, but the revs also fall quicker, which tries to slow the wheel down. Think of gears; you get a lot more engine breaking in first than in third because the engine accelerates and decelerates quicker.

Then again I might be just talking bullsh*t!:D

Rattler 20-May-2003 12:28

OK, but.....

As you say the engine spins down (slows) quicker as there is less resistance, ie. less engine braking! - which supports my theory!

You have more engine braking in first than in third, because you need more revolutions of the engine for a given revolution of the rear wheel! Hence greater resistance.

I'm happy to be proved wrong on this, so all comments (except Dibble's) welcome!

Tim