Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle (/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Broadband providers which one? (/showthread.php?t=21655)

TopiToo 10-Sep-2005 14:55

Broadband providers which one?

Hello

I know this has been covered before, but I guess pricing plans/good service has moved on. So

At present with Telewest, but moving house so have decided to cancel, as there appears to be cheaper out there!

http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?no...dband-standard

for one . . the other option being I stay away from Telewest for a month then re-join as a new member and reap all the benefits. . . . which are . . . . em no bloody idea:D

any input would be great.

regards

TopiToo

ali 10-Sep-2005 15:01

It's a bloody minefield! There's a few providers coming up with 20/24Mb connections soon, but in the mean time check here:

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp

I use Eclipse as you don't need a contract, just pay monthly. They've just upgraded my line to 2mb for free and without me asking for it whaich is fine by me. :)

Ali

Rattler 10-Sep-2005 15:33

Also check here;

http://www.uk-broadband-review.com

A good site for info and recommendations

Tim

sye73 11-Sep-2005 01:05

(Not sure if I can be sued for using the company's full name,so I'll just have to give you a clue......!)
NAWADOO are absolutely useless,and would never recommend them to anyone!! :mad:

crm250 11-Sep-2005 08:54

all much a muchness to a certain extent. if you are happy with a wires only service (you supply your own router / modem and self config) then i would stick with either nildram, zen, plus net, ecllipse or bulldog. they can work out slightly cheaper for some cases but their speeds and service is good.
i have used many and found the above very good.
I do though require static ip's and do some VPN configs with mine so perhaps a bit of overkill for you.
i would reccomend going wires only if you are confident with a router and config'ing yourself (ie username / password) and also reccomend using a router over a cheaper modem just for that extra level of protection.
need any help or advice feel free to PM me

TopiToo 11-Sep-2005 20:28

Hello

Thank you for all the tips/advice. Yep looks like a "minefield"

But some of the links are helpful.

regards

TopiToo

Jasper 11-Sep-2005 20:41

Plus net for me:

www.Plus.net.com

rcgbob44 12-Sep-2005 09:34

I`m with AOL and the only problems I have got with them is that they now charge for technical calls to a service centre in India where the staff can hardly be understood!

I have also just installed a wireless router at home and it keeps locking up and needs constantly re booting.

have a nice, glitch free, day!

Ozz 12-Sep-2005 09:50

I am plusnet too. No problems in about 2 years (ish)

YMFB 12-Sep-2005 09:55

ive just moved some of our work qa/c from pipex to plus net and we have been upgraded to 2 mb's so will be changing others as and when.

We need static ip's and they are included as well as a fax number, which just sends the faxs to your specified e mail address so we have cancelled two telephone lines as well.