Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Thicker than the average bear! (/showthread.php?t=1147)

the phantom pieman 25-Jun-2003 08:36

Thicker than the average bear!

I want to try and rotate the brake and clutch controls "down" a tadge. But how does one do this , as there seem to be pins locating every item to every other item on the ducati!!!

Do you have to rotates the front brake and the throttle, or is it easier just to rotate the bar itself?:sing:

ducatimad 25-Jun-2003 08:42

Never done it myself..........

I woulld imagine rotating the bar is the only way to more the 'dimples' round.

:)

Totto 25-Jun-2003 08:52

Remove the clip-on's & either file flat/pull out the pins , you need to file the pins locating the clip-ons on the fork tubes
Well thats what i did the first day i got the bike home !!!
You can't rotate the bar as one off the screws goes though a slot on the bar !
:D

[Edited on 25-6-2003 by Totto]

JPM 25-Jun-2003 10:04

Yup done it myself...

You can't rotate the bar as the screws go through for the clip on to mount to the fork tubes, as has been said saw/file the locating pin off mate...

20 second job (if you're viscious... :))

swiss 998s 25-Jun-2003 16:20

Just loosen the 2 screws clamping the clip on and rotate the whole lot - no pins or problems

Jasper 25-Jun-2003 23:02

Swiss,you can't do that,as pointed out previously,as the screws go through a recessed part of the clip on.If you take out the screws and rotate the clip ons,you can't get the screws back in.As totto said,out with the pins is the only way.Unless your clip ons are different?

swiss 998s 26-Jun-2003 08:12

Interesting point Jasper

As mentioned I read all about the pin thing, but I managed to loosen and rotate them, Are German model bars different? Must be

the phantom pieman 26-Jun-2003 10:26

F*** it, I'll just get my arms and body posture altered ..... it's easier :rodent:

Ian 26-Jun-2003 13:17

don\'t give up

i did mine a couple of weeks ago, really not difficult, - the hardest bit is getting an allen key into the bottom allen bolt, - i used a round ended allen key thing. Once I got the clip on I had a go with a Dremel to file the pin away but too many sparks too close to the petrol tank, - so an ordinary file did the job in not much time.
I think it may be the earlier model Ducs that have the pin on each clip on, -or it could be that later models have their levers at a better (more down ward) position.

It is well worth doing, - I ride with 2 fingers on my levers and before with the levers too high (flat) it would leave my arms really tense as the tendons are too extended.