Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Changing your own tyres (/showthread.php?t=771)

Desmondo 11-Jun-2003 10:51

Changing your own tyres

Does anybody do this using their own kit? iirc Abba make the stuff (bead breakers, balancing kit, etc) and it's not too expensive.

Basically a friend has started racing this year and is picking up lots of part worn Supercorsa's that still have plenty of life left in them. Now it would be handy for him to change his tyres for racing, and also handy for the rest of our group that do lots of trackdays.

What I really need to know is, is the procedure difficult? I can't imagine it being too hard.

Felix 11-Jun-2003 11:01

I've done it before, it's not difficult really. One thing: it's hard work, though. You get better at it with time, but it does take some muscle. Also, it's very difficult to leave the rims unmarked when doing it by hand, but I suspect that's not really important on race wheels. The Abba bead breaker works well, but often times you can break them by hand, especially if you change tyres often (as you would on race wheels). The hardest part is getting the new tyre on the rim. You'll need 2 or 3 tyre levers for this. The only thing you can't do is dynamically balance the wheels as they do on a spin balancing machine. The Abba balancer only allows for static balancing, that is finding the heavy spot as it will rotate to the bottom.

Best thing is to have someone show you the ropes at a race meeting, who has done it plenty of times before you invest in the tools.

Desmondo 11-Jun-2003 11:16

Cheers Felix. It's not a definite yet, just something we were chatting about last night. Would make it a whole lot easier if we could do it all ourselves.

Rattler 11-Jun-2003 11:42

Stop being so tight!!!!!

Desmondo 11-Jun-2003 11:48

Me? tight? Nah, sorry pal, you've got the wrong guy :)

So you wouldn't want any of th CHEAP supercorsa's I'm getting for £50 a set then? ;)

Rattler 11-Jun-2003 12:15

Ahhhhh - jamie....

Now you come to mention it, funds are a bit tight at the moment!!!!!

I'll take a pair - SC1 front SC2 rear!!!!

Ta
Tim:frog::frog::frog::frog::frog::frog::frog::frog ::frog::frog:

Rattler 11-Jun-2003 12:16

Will there be a tyre man at Mallory???

Desmondo 11-Jun-2003 12:36

Now who's tight :D

Sorry lads, I can get them at that price, sometimes a bit more, but not enough to go round.

skidlids 12-Jun-2003 00:46

tyre changing

I have been doing all my own tyre changing for years using a Abba bead breaker, which works best if you keep the screw thread well greased, along with 3 tyre levers and several rim protectorsand mustn't forget the valve core removing tool. For fitting the new tyre a decent compressor is worth having. At present I dont have my own balancer, I think Hein Gericke do the cheapest one. Static balancing is fine for either road or track including the IOM.
Kev