Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   888 back end in a 900ss ??? (/showthread.php?t=36197)

Iconic944ss 13-Sep-2006 14:09

888 back end in a 900ss ???

Just a crazy thought, there is an 888 swing arm on Fleabay at the moment and I've always been lead to believe the 888 with loop arm is more compliant than the straight acting 'SS' back end....

Any idea if it would actually fit anyone?

Freaky Franko

Jools 13-Sep-2006 14:21

Anything is possible given enough time and money Frank. Whether it's worth doing is another thing completely.

It would mean constructing a fixing point for the suspension cantilever and making sure that it was in the right position to give you the benefits of the rising rate stuff....and I have absolutely no idea of the geometry at work there. A lot of work to get right first time. You would also need the suspension rocker (or whatever it's called) and the tie bar etc etc...

Ultimately, I've ridden both bikes and couldn't honestly feel any major difference in either type of rear suspension set up.

Iconic944ss 13-Sep-2006 14:25

Cheers Jools - just the comparison I was after!

Think I'm better of saving the pennies for a better shox.

Cheers - Frank

ali 13-Sep-2006 14:43

Hi Frank,

I'd love to have a crack at this as Rising Rate makes far more sense than a Cantilever setup but, as Jools says, there's not much difference in the long run. The NCR millona (God's 2v) not only uses a canti setup, it uses the original 1000ss arm. If it's good enough for them.....

I'd spend the pennies on getting an ohlins/nitron, having the right spring put on it, and having it setup correctly. I had a bad experience with KAIS so I'd recommend k-tech.

Cheers,

Ali

chicken 13-Sep-2006 15:01

maybe a good idea, maybe a bad one but if you're going to try it why not look for a monster swingarm? They work in the same way but are bound to be easier to find and cheaper.

Chi (now with added nuts)