Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Shazaam! on Electrical systems (/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   PC680 Gel Battery - first visit (/showthread.php?t=41343)

weeksy2 09-Jan-2006 10:36

PC680 Gel Battery - first visit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Battery-YT...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you rekon to this one then guys ?

Ceris bike was fired up on Sat after having to jump it.... ran it for 20 mins around car park, but as suspected from Convos with Nelly that morning, it's had enough..

So this one is only £40 inc posting....

good ?

Iconic944ss 09-Jan-2006 11:10

If you can get the Specs for the battery you need (Yuasa website?)

Then give these guys a try - Derek gave me the link originally and I was able to get a higher output battery for the same size as the original YB16.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rk...1910&XPAGENO=1

Iconic944ss 09-Jan-2006 11:18

UK website is naff...heres a line to Yuasa USA.....

Details are all there....

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/yuasa0...cle_search.asp

F

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by Iconic944ss]

weeksy2 09-Jan-2006 11:24

the Yuasa is £79.99 in my local shop though... that' a bloody huge difference.

weeksy2 09-Jan-2006 11:30

Quote:

Originally posted by Iconic944ss
If you can get the Specs for the battery you need (Yuasa website?)

Then give these guys a try - Derek gave me the link originally and I was able to get a higher output battery for the same size as the original YB16.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rk...1910&XPAGENO=1

i can't make any sense of that mate... it tells me next to nothing about size and dimensions... EDIT : found the dimensions... but none are really that close...

the Yuasa one is cool, but i already know the part code.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by weeksy2]

FiscusFish 09-Jan-2006 11:35

At the top of the page is a "Show technical data" link. Click that and it brings up all the different sizes...

Iconic944ss 09-Jan-2006 11:37

Click the link at the top of the rapid page where it says:

'+ Show technical data'

I think only the bottom three have the kind of connectors you would want - so it the dimentions / spec dont suit.....it aint for you.

F

weeksy2 09-Jan-2006 11:38

well the dimensions are not far away... one is for a 12v and charge thingy of 12... the other 12v and charge thingy of 17.....

i'd guess 12 is too low and 17 too high ?

phil_h 09-Jan-2006 12:04

The 'rapid electronics' link first page shows a load of batteries designed for constant-current output use in applications where you need battery-backup for electronic equipment.
Batteries for use with started motors need to supply a much higher peak current than these will happily do.
Personally, I would never use one of these on a car or a bike.

If you want a good battery, you have to pay for it.
If you just want cheap, then you will get a battery that doesnt last.

You should also remember that bike batteries get shaken up a bit more than most, so tend not to last as long ;)

So, what about the other stuff ...
well the AH ratings tell you how much charge they hold (capacity), not how you have to charge them, so more is better.

Couldnt remember the capacity, so just fought through the yuasa website - the specced yuasa yb16al-a2 is 16AH capacity
So ... the 17AH from the other peeps is the one to try AS LONG AS IT FITS :P

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by phil_h]

Just remembered the other trip-wire with non-automotive batteries ... the terminals !
If the batterey doesnt have a bolt-type terminal, it will prob not be able to cope with the current the starter motor needs ... it _will_ work at first, but a small spade connector will heat up every time you pass a big current through it, and each time that happens it will corrode ... and the connection will get worse and worse and cause the starter to lose power and spin too slowly, which can cause the sprag clutch to chatter, and fail, which costs a couple of hundred to fix ;)
(/rant)

andyb 09-Jan-2006 13:58

Quote:

Originally posted by phil_h
The 'rapid electronics' link first page shows a load of batteries designed for constant-current output use in applications where you need battery-backup for electronic equipment.
Batteries for use with started motors need to supply a much higher peak current than these will happily do.
Personally, I would never use one of these on a car or a bike.

If you want a good battery, you have to pay for it.
If you just want cheap, then you will get a battery that doesnt last.

You should also remember that bike batteries get shaken up a bit more than most, so tend not to last as long ;)

So, what about the other stuff ...
well the AH ratings tell you how much charge they hold (capacity), not how you have to charge them, so more is better.

Couldnt remember the capacity, so just fought through the yuasa website - the specced yuasa yb16al-a2 is 16AH capacity
So ... the 17AH from the other peeps is the one to try AS LONG AS IT FITS :P

Just remembered the other trip-wire with non-automotive batteries ... the terminals !
If the batterey doesnt have a bolt-type terminal, it will prob not be able to cope with the current the starter motor needs ... it _will_ work at first, but a small spade connector will heat up every time you pass a big current through it, and each time that happens it will corrode ... and the connection will get worse and worse and cause the starter to lose power and spin too slowly, which can cause the sprag clutch to chatter, and fail, which costs a couple of hundred to fix ;)
(/rant)

Ditto..you get what you pay for........